Center for International Business Education and Research
Fuqua School of Business
Durham, NC 27708-0120 USA
Fedex only address:
100 Fuqua Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0104
Arie Y. Lewin is Professor of Strategy and International Business at the Fuqua School of Business, Duke University. He is the Director of the Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
Professor Lewin was the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of International Business Studies (2002 - 2008); founding Program Director for Decision, Risk and Management Science at the National Science Foundation (1986-1988); Departmental Editor Management Science for editorial department of Organization Analysis, Performance and Design (1974-1987); founding Editor-in-Chief of Organization Science (1989-1998); Visiting Research Professor, Erasmus University (1999-); Distinguished Visiting Scholar, INSEAD (2003); Visiting Professor of International Management, Cranfield School of Management (2000-2002); DKB Visiting Professor, Keio University Graduate School of Business (Spring 1993 and 1994); Visiting Research Professor, Institute for Business Research, Hitotsubashi University (1994-1995); and elected Chair of Duke University Academic Council (1982-1986).
Professor Lewin's current primary research interests involve the Offshoring Research Network (ORN) project, the co-evolution of new organization forms and management of strategy change in times of increasing disorder, and the globalization of innovation. ORN is the largest ongoing research project that tracks corporate strategies and experience with offshoring non manufacturing tasks (e.g. contact centers, finance and accounting, software development, IT infrastructure, legal services etc.) as well as the tracking the emergence of the global outsourcing industry and plans and services offered by third party service providers. At the end of 2009 ORN data base includes over 2000 companies and service providers all over the world. Read the Wikipedia entry on Offshoring Research Network here.
Professor Lewin is author or editor of several books and his research articles have appeared or are forthcoming in many different journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Research Policy, Harvard Business Review, Decision Sciences, European Management Journal, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Mathematical Sociology, Management Science, Organization Studies, Personnel Psychology, Policy Sciences, Science, Simulation and The Accounting Review. He has also published (with Professor Mitchell Koza) two articles in the Financial Times Series on Mastering Strategy.
Honors and Recognition
- The Academy of International Business Fellows (2009)
- First Academy of Management, Martin Trailblazer Award, Organization and Management Theory Division (2008)
- Distinguished Speaker, 2004 Uppsala Lectures in Business (October 4-7, 2004, Uppsala University, Uppsala Sweden
- Academy of Management, Distinguished Service Award (2003)
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) distinguished service award as founding Editor-in-Chief of Organization Science (1989-1998).
- Awarded Highest Quality Rating Citation of Excellence by ANBAR Electronic Intelligence, an online service that reviews top journals in the world each month, for "The Co-evolution of Strategic Alliances," Organization Science, Vol.9, No.3, 1998, Arie Y. Lewin and Mitchell P. Koza
- Duke University Presidential Award for Meritorious Service, May 2, 1986
- Distinguished 21st Lecturer Annual Uppsala Lectures in Business (2004)
- Inaugural Speaker at Stockholm School of Economics (2004) new cross departmental seminar series at the Stockholm School of Economics