Though your path to becoming a leader of consequence is solely your own, the road you walk on was shaped by those who came before you. Duke's Daytime MBA program provides you with exposure to top professionals who are paving the way today.
Your MBA program experience is infused with opportunities to interact with, and learn from, practitioners and executives from leading firms around the world. Through case competitions, conferences, symposia, guest speakers, and week-in-cities trips, you will challenge yourself to apply what you've learned in a setting related to your career aspirations.
Below are a few of the popular MBA extracurricular activities you can choose to participate in at Fuqua:
- MBA Case Competitions
"I came back to school to enter the consulting world. Realizing that my background includes no consulting experience, I felt that the quickest way to get my hands dirty was by participating in case competitions." — Nisha Asher, Class of 2014. Read more.
Fuqua Case Bowl: First-year students apply the concepts learned in core courses in this internal case competition judged by knowledgeable practitioners from firms including BCG, Emerson Technologies, Ingersoll Rand, and Strategy Analytics.
Elite 8 Case Competition: Top brand management students, professionals, and academics from across the country gather for a three-day competition highlighting the challenges of brand management in today's competitive marketplace.
Deloitte National Case Competition: Every year, Deloitte hosts a National Case Competition. Teams from business schools across the country learn to think like a consultant as they compete to win a case simulation.
Capture the Cup: One of the greatest collegiate rivalries of all time plays out in case form as Duke and UNC MBA students go head-to-head in this annual competition sponsored by Deloitte.
VCIC Case Competition: Student investors and reps from VC firms listen and learn as real entrepreneurs pitch their ideas.
- Conferences and Symposia
Our proximity to Research Triangle Park and connections to Duke's world-class medical center attract international industry leaders to speak at Fuqua's annual Health Care Conference.
Bringing industry leaders together to discuss the topics that keep them up at night, student-run MBA clubs host annual conferences and symposia offering an up-close look at day-to-day life in a variety of fields and industries, including:
- Health care
- Entrepreneurship and venture capital
- Sustainability and social impact
- Sports and entertainment
Conferences and symposia are typically held on Wednesdays when there are no classes so that students are free to attend them. Such opportunities to interact with leading thinkers help you refine your career aspirations and sharpen your industry knowledge.
- Week-in-Cities Trips
"To talk to a manager at Genentech about a product that is not yet on the market, to sit down with the founders of HealthTap and Castlight Health, incredible startups in the healthcare space, and to walk through McKesson, the oldest healthcare company in America, was nothing short of amazing." — Crystal Brown, Class of 2014. Read more.
Want to learn more about a particular industry, or have your heart set on relocating to a specific region? Every year, MBA students organize Week-in-Cities trips during school breaks that are packed with on-site company visits and networking. Whether you have set your sights on Silicon Valley, Wall Street, or the Pharma corridor, a Week-in-Cities trip allows you to interact with top firms and alumni in each area in just a few short days.
Below is a sample health care/consulting Week-in-Cities Trip (San Francisco area):
Day 1: Genentech, Deloitte
Day 2: Boston Scientific, Lifescan
Day 3: Amgen, DaVita, Accenture, Accenture Happy Hour
Day 4: Medtronic
- Distinguished Speaker Series (DSS)
The Distinguished Speaker Series (DSS) brings high-profile corporate executives to Fuqua on a regular basis to share insights on current business issues and corporate strategies. The program also builds and strengthens the relationship between Fuqua and the world's leading corporations.
Recent distinguished speakers include:
- Tim Cook, CEO, Apple - View YouTube videos
- Chad Dickerson, CEO, Etsy - View YouTube video
- Walter Robb, Co-CEO, Whole Foods - View YouTube video
- Bill McDermott, Co-Chief Executive Officer, SAP AG - View YouTube video
- Shelly Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather - View YouTube video
- N.R. Narayana Murthy, Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Infosys - Read about it
- Punit Renjen, Chairman, Deloitte LLP - Read about it
- Beth Comstock, SVP and Chief Marketing Officer, GE - Read about it
- Bob Weber, SVP and General Counsel, IBM*
- George Barrett, Chairman and CEO, Cardinal Health
- Jim Quigley, CEO, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited*
- Donald Tong, Hong Kong Commissioner for Economic & Trade Affairs, USA*
- Rick Hendrick, Owner, Hendrick Motorsports*
- Jim McNerney, Chairman, President, and CEO, The Boeing Company*
- Emil Tedeschi, CEO, Atlantic Grupa*
- Bruce Johnson, Interim CEO, Sears Holdings*
- Sheila Bair, Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)*
- Craig Mundie, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, Microsoft Corporation*
- Duncan Niederauer, CEO, NYSE Euronext*
- Bob McDonald, President and CEO, Procter & Gamble*
- Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN, Inc. and ABC Sports
- Ken Chenault, CEO, American Express
*View these and other DSS videos in Fuqua's DSS iTunes Library.