Review the below instructions to prepare to apply to the Daytime MBA program. We will appreciate your attention to ensure your application package is complete. Only complete application packages will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. If you have questions after reviewing the below information, send an email to the Admissions Office.
Access the Daytime MBA online application now.
- Online MBA Application
The online application includes sections on personal information and program information. The program information section includes questions regarding joint degree programs and our concentrations and certificates. In addition to these sections, the application asks for educational background, transcripts, employment history, a business resume, activities and achievements, self-reported test scores, and essays.
- Your application and recommendations can only be submitted online.
- You will need to create a user ID and password to access the system.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online system.
- You may access the application as many times as you like before submitting it.
- Your application will not be evaluated until you submit it and all supporting materials are received and verified.
Access the Daytime MBA online application.
Below is important information regarding our requirements for your previous college and/or university transcripts.
- Legible, scanned copies of all official transcripts are required for each college or university you have attended.
- Official transcripts must include the university's seal and cannot be copied from an online grading system.
- Each course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcripts.
- The degree received and date conferred must be clearly visible on your transcripts.
- If your transcripts do not state the degree and date conferred, upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript.
- If your transcript is not in English, you must make arrangements to have it translated, attested, and uploaded in addition to the originals.
- To request a transcript, use the "Transcript Request Form" in the "downloadable forms" section in the online application. This form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form is not part of the official application; it's provided to assist you in obtaining required information for your application.
- Unacceptable transcripts include self-reported transcripts and scanned copies of unofficial transcripts.
- Failure to submit official transcripts on time, or any misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information, is grounds for automatic revocation of any offer of admission and financial assistance.
When to Submit Hard Copies of Official Transcripts
If you are accepted into the Daytime MBA program, you must then submit hard copies of official transcript(s) and translations in a sealed envelope from each college or university you attended. These hard copies must be submitted in conjunction with your tuition deposit at the designated deadline for your application round.
2014 - 2015 Essays (for students who will start the program in 2015)
Three short answer questions and 2 essays are required from all applicants.
- Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
- Respond fully and concisely.
- Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
- Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
- All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will not be tolerated in the admissions process.
Application Tip: Check out this blog post from the former Director of Admissions for more insight on the essays.
Required Short Answer Questions
Instructions: Answer all 3 of the following questions. For each short answer question, respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).
- What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
- What are your long-term goals?
- Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?
First Required Essay
Instructions: Answer the following question — present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
- The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.
Second Required Essay (choose 1 of 2)
Instructions: Choose only 1 of the following 2 essay questions to answer. Your response should be no more than 2 pages in length.
- When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.
- The Team Fuqua community is as unique as the individuals who comprise it. Underlying our individuality are a number of shared ideas and principles that we live out in our own ways. Our students have identified and defined 6 “Team Fuqua Principles” that we feel are the guiding philosophies that make our community special. At the end of your 2 years at Fuqua, if you were to receive an award for exemplifying one of the 6 Principles listed below, which one would it be and why? Your response should reflect the research you have done, your knowledge of Fuqua and the Daytime MBA program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student.
- Authentic Engagement: We care and we take action. We each make a difference to Team Fuqua by being ourselves and engaging in and supporting activities about which we are passionate.
- Supportive Ambition: We support each other to achieve great things, because your success is my success. The success of each individual member of Team Fuqua makes the whole of Team Fuqua better.
- Collective Diversity: We embrace all of our classmates because our individuality is better and stronger together.
- Impactful Stewardship: We are leaders who focus on solutions to improve our communities both now and in the future. We aren’t satisfied with just maintaining the status quo.
- Loyal Community: We are a family who looks out for each other. Team Fuqua supports you when you need it the most.
- Uncompromising Integrity: We internalize and live the honor code in the classroom and beyond. We conduct ourselves with integrity within Fuqua, within Duke, and within all communities of which we are a part.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or any significant weakness in your application).
- Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.
- The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
- Limit your response to two pages.
- A 1-page business resume is required for all applicants.
- Submit your resume electronically, within the online application system.
- Include employment information for volunteer work, internships, and part-time work experience, in addition to full-time employment. For each, include the location, title, date, and responsibilities, starting with your most recent position.
- The education section should include dates of attendance and degrees received.
- Letters of Recommendation
Below you will find important information and tips regarding your recommendations.
- Two letters of recommendation are required to complete your application. (Re-applicants must submit only one recommendation.)
- Your recommenders must complete the current recommendation forms associated with the online application—no other format of recommendation will be accepted.
- Submissions by email or mail are NOT accepted.
- One recommendation should reflect your performance in your most recent professional setting. Volunteer activities or other service-oriented roles in which you are deeply involved may also be excellent sources for recommendations.
- The most valuable recommendations come from people who know your professional skills and abilities.
- Recommendations from relatives and friends are strongly discouraged.
- Academic recommendations in most cases provide a similar perspective to what is in your transcript, and are less helpful.
- Use your recommenders' work email addresses versus personal accounts, like Gmail or Yahoo, which will be more closely monitored in our credential verification process.
Online Recommendation Forms
You are required to utilize the Recommendation Forms that are within the online application. The following questions are included on the recommendation form:
- Describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.
- Comment on the applicant's interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
- What do you consider the applicant's three primary talents or strengths? Please provide examples, if relevant.
- In what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth? If you have had the opportunity to provide the applicant with constructive feedback, please provide specific examples of the feedback and the applicant's response to it.
Current Student & Alumni Recommendations
In addition to the two required recommendations, you may receive additional recommendations from our current students or alumni. There are separate forms for these recommendations. Access the alumni recommendation online. The current student recommendation is available via FuquaWorld. If one of these recommendations is sent on your behalf at least 3 business days before you submit your application, you will be eligible for an application fee reduction. Review the Fee Waivers and Reductions section for information about how to process your fee reduction.
- GMAT or GRE
- You must take either the GMAT or GRE (the GMAT is preferred) and have your scores sent directly from the testing service to the admissions office.
- We will accept scores up to 5 years old.
- There is no minimum test score requirement.
- If you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam before submitting your application. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date.
- You must request that your official score be sent to Fuqua prior to your application round deadline.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-32
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Use Duke program code 5156
- Application Fee
Interviews are a great way to present yourself and your credentials to the Admissions Committee. We offer two interview options: Open Interviews and Interviews by Invitation. Open Interviews occur in Durham, from September 8 - October 14, 2014. After October 14, interviews are by invitation only, by application round, and occur in Durham as well as in locations around the world. Visit the Interview Process page for more details including registration information.