The Fuqua Loan Assistance Program (LAP) provides financial assistance, in the form of loan forgiveness awards, to qualifying Duke MBA—Daytime alumni who work full-time for eligible nonprofit and government organizations. The program, originally known as the Fuqua Loan Forgiveness Fund, was established through the generosity and vision of The Duke MBA—Daytime Class of 2001. We are grateful to those members of our community whose generous support of The Fuqua Annual Fund continues to make this program possible.
The LAP is designed to support alumni pursuing a career in the nonprofit or public sector and their goals of making a positive impact in the social sector. The LAP is not an entitlement; eligibility and selection are determined by the LAP Administrators, and awards are distributed on a funds-available basis. All determinations made by the Administration are final, and the Administration reserves the right to restructure the program as necessary at any time.
LAP Eligibility and Application Details for 2015
The 2015 cycle covers disbursements from January 2015 to December 2015.
The application deadline is October 31, 2014.
- Loan eligibility: Federal and private loans incurred for the cost of the Duke MBA—Daytime program education only. Eligible for up to $8,000 assistance annually (Class of 2013 or prior grandfathered for up to $10,000 annual assistance).
- Employment eligibility: Full-time employment by a 501(c)(3) organization, governmental agency, or foreign equivalents.
- Income eligibility: Alumni are expected to contribute toward the repayment of their Fuqua loans. The level of this self-contribution will rise with income. All tax-related matters are the responsibility of the award recipient.
- Length of eligibility: Alumni are eligible for loan assistance for any time they are employed with a qualifying organization within eight years of their graduation. (Class of 2013 or prior grandfathered for 10 years post-graduate eligibility)
- Applying: You must apply for loan assistance within three years of graduation (ex. May 2014 graduates can apply in October 2014, 2015 or 2016)
- Maternity/Paternity Leave: LAP participants who may be requesting maternity/paternity leave from their employer will continue to receive LAP support up to three months of paid time-off. If the participant decides to extend their leave and take unpaid time-off, then there will be no LAP support for that period.
A summary of program parameters can be found here.
- When prompted, use your Fuqua alumni login ID and password. If you need to be reminded of your login ID or have your password reset, please write to email@example.com.
- Once you have submitted your online application, a link to your LAP Application Checklist will be found near the bottom of your Fuqua alumni profile page. This checklist provides details regarding the supporting documentation required for the completion of your LAP application.
- Please allow two business days from the submission date of your application for your LAP checklist to be generated.
For prompt processing of your application, please scan and email supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax it to +1.919.681.6243. All supporting documentation sent via mail must be postmarked by October 31, 2014, and addressed to:
Fuqua Loan Assistance Program
Duke Fuqua Financial Aid Office
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120