- Financial Aid for U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents
- Financial Aid for International Students
- Loan Assistance Program
- Forms & Resources
- Contact Us
MMS: Foundations of Business (FOB)
The Admissions Office at The Fuqua School of Business oversees and manages the merit- based scholarship process. Merit scholarships are awarded based on a candidate's overall profile. Please contact the Admissions Office at +1.919.660.7705 if you have questions about merit-based scholarships.
For more information on the FAFSA, please access the FAQs.
Complete the 2016-17 FAFSA for the 2016-17 Academic Year
Fuqua Title IV Code: 002920
College Name: Duke University, The Fuqua School of Business
Student and Fuqua Financial Aid receive FAFSA information, Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education.
The financial aid awarding process begins in April. Students will receive an electronic notice.
Student accepts/reduces/declines financial aid in ACES and completes the loan application process outlined in the financial aid award notice.
Estimated Domestic MMS Cost of Attendance 2016-17
(July - Aug.)
(Sept. - Dec.)
(Jan. - May)
|Fuqua MMS Tuition||$16,634||$16,633||$16,633||$49,900|
|Student Medical Insurance*||$2,525||$2,525|
|MMS Association (Gov't Fee)||$450||$450|
|Graduate Activity Fee||$18||$18||$36|
|Graduate Recreational Facility Fee||$137||$137||$274|
|Graduate Student Services Fee||
Student Living Expenses
|Fuqua Board (Food)||$1,032||$2,064||$2,580||$5,676|
Total Cost of Attendance
|Federal Student Loan Fees**||$505||$1,011||$1,263||$2,779|
|Federal Student Loan Borrowing Eligibility***||$21,755||$29,678||$29,207||$80,640|
For more information about tuition due dates and the billing schedule please visit the University Bursar Office website.
*Student Medical Insurance Plan is required for all Fuqua Daytime MBA students and is charged during the fall semester. It can be waived if you have other health insurance coverage. Please contact our Financial Aid Office if your Duke-sponsored Student Medical Insurance Plan cost is different from this amount. We will adjust your COA accordingly. The actual cost of the Student Medical Insurance Plan is established in late spring each year. The University Student Affairs Office provides additional information regarding student medical insurance with fall tuition statements.
**Federal Student Loan Fees are automatically added to the budget assuming the student is borrowing the Stafford and/or Graduate PLUS Loan. If a private/alternative loan is borrowed these fees will have to be reduced or removed.
***The Student Loan Borrowing Limit will be reduced by any other financial aid received (i.e. scholarships). This cost of attendance will determine the total amount of your Financial Aid eligibility.
Additional Considerations to Increase the Cost of Attendance:
Students must request these additional considerations in writing.
Federal Student Loan Programs (i.e. Graduate PLUS Loan) may be used for the following increases:
- One-Time Computer Increase: Students must submit an invoice or quote for the price of the computer in order to receive this increase, up to the $2,000.
- Summer Math Review Course: This fee ($950) can be added to the cost of attendance only after registration has been confirmed with the Admissions Office.
- Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) Expenses: Students can apply for this increase once they have been approved for the GATE trip. The student will need to submit a financial aid application and apply for the additional funding with his/her lender based on the budget of the trip.
- Dependent/Child Care Expense: A $5,000 allowance may be factored for certified Dependent/Child Care expenses. Please contact our office for details regarding the regulations and documentation required for a dependent/child care allowance.
- Duke Student Health Insurance Family Coverage: This increase may be made to the cost of attendance when proof of coverage is presented to the Financial Aid Office.
- Statements and explanations provided by the student for immediate family expenses do not constitute supporting documentation for budget adjustments. Depending on the reason for the increase request, and in order for the Financial Aid Office to determine if an increase is allowable, students may be asked to submit additional supporting documents beyond those originally submitted. Per student's request and depending on special circumstances, we may consider an additional of living expense increase up to 60% of the standard living expense allocation (This is only considered for Fuqua students whose spouse is living with them during their studies at Fuqua, not employed and not a student).
Non-Allowable Cost of Attendance Adjustments:
- Interview Activities: Expenses incurred for interview activities coordinated by Fuqua, and general interview trips are not considered for financial aid purposes because they are not standard requirements within the curriculum.
- Personal Debt: Due to Federal Law, personal consumer debt (i.e., credit cards, car loans, etc.) cannot be factored into the cost of attendance.
How are the Fuqua Merit Scholarships determined?
Merit Scholarship recipients are selected by an Admissions Merit Scholarship Committee. Merit scholarships are awarded based on a candidate's overall profile. The Merit Scholarship awards are made independent of determining a student's eligibility for student loans.
Does Fuqua offer other scholarship or grant assistance?
Is it possible to borrow funds to meet the costs of attending Fuqua?
A variety of student loan programs are available to students enrolled at Fuqua. You are eligible to apply for a combination of federal and alternative student loans to meet the cost of tuition, fees, books, and related living expenses as estimated in the cost of attendance.
How do I apply for student loans?
To apply for federal student loans each student should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year will be available after January 1st. Applicants are encouraged to complete the FAFSA prior to their admission decision. The FAFSA should be completed with your previous year federal tax returns (i.e. 2016-17 FAFSA would be completed with 2015 Federal Tax Returns).
To apply for Private/Alternative Loan you will select your lender of choice and complete the application with that lender.
How will I know if my financial aid application is complete?
Approximately one week after you submit your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which will indicate the receipt and initial processing of your application. Our financial aid office receives an electronic copy of the SAR. The FAFSA data for admitted students is reviewed for accuracy and completeness. If additional information is needed, you will receive a written request from Fuqua. If no additional information is required, you will receive a financial aid award notice as stated above. Our financial aid office begins reviewing of financial aid applications in March and sends out award notices on a rolling basis. If you are admitted and have completed your FAFSA after March 1st, it will take approximately one month to receive an award notice. Once you have completed your loan promissory notes as instructed in the award notice it will take approximately 2-3 weeks for your lender to follow up with an approval notice/disclosure statement verifying your approval.
When should I start contacting lenders to apply for a Private/Alternative loan?
Contact lenders after you have received your award notice. Students who anticipate borrowing alternative student loans may consider contacting lenders earlier to make certain that they are creditworthy loan borrowers.