The application is now available for the MQM class starting in August 2017.
Congratulations! You've decided to apply to the MQM program. Below you will find detailed instructions about how to apply. We appreciate your attention to ensuring your application package is complete as only complete application packages will be reviewed by the admissions committee.
International Applicants: There are additional application requirements and instructions for international students.
- Online Application
The 2017-2018 MQM application will be available in late-July.
- The MQM application and recommendations can only be submitted online.
- You will need to create a user ID and password to access the application system.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online system.
- You may access your application as many times as you like before submitting.
- Your application will not be evaluated until you submit it and all supporting materials are received and verified.
- You may only apply to one round in a given application year.
When to Submit Official Transcripts
If you are accepted into the MQM program, you must then submit official transcript(s) and translations (if applicable) from each college or university you attended. These copies must be received in conjunction with your tuition deposit by the designated deadline for your application round.
To complete this requirement, you may send an electronic copy of your official transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org from each college or university you attended. Or, you may elect to have hard copies sent in a sealed envelope directly from each college or university you attended to the address below:
The Fuqua School of Business
Office of Admissions
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120
Failure to submit official transcripts on time, or any misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information, is grounds for automatic revocation of any offer of admission and financial assistance.
The "Transcript Request Form" is located in the "downloadable forms" section of the online application. The form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form itself is not part of the official application; it's simply provided to help you obtain required information for your application.
- Legible, scanned copies of all transcripts are required from each college or university you have attended.
- Every course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcript(s).
- Your name, the name of the institution, the "degree received" and "date conferred" must be clearly visible on your transcripts. If you have not yet graduated, it should be listed as "expected degree received" and "expected date conferred."
- If you have graduated, and your transcript(s) do not state the degree and date conferred, please upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript.
- Self-reported transcripts are not accepted.
Each student brings his or her own unique experiences and passions to the MQM program. When combined with the skills gained from the curriculum, our students are uniquely qualified for a range of exciting career opportunities. The admissions committee wants to learn more about your personal and professional motivations, and how you will contribute to the community of learning at Fuqua. Respond to the following application questions and essays to allow us to get to know you better.
Two short essay questions and one long essay are required for all applicants:
All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Expressing your ideas by using verbiage from existing sources, including other applicants' essays or materials, without properly crediting those sources constitutes an act of plagiarism. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will result in an application denial. Note: if you have worked with a consultant to complete your application materials, please ensure that the honor code policy is discussed and he/she will not share your essays with other potential applicants.
Required Short Essays
Instructions: Please answer each short essay question below in 250 - 350 words. Use a font size of no less than 10-point, and respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing. Do not copy the essay question in the document you upload with your application.
Short Essay 1: What do you hope to gain from the MQM program, and how will it support you in your personal and professional goals?
Short Essay 2: Give an example of a time you worked on a team, in a personal, professional, or volunteer setting. What role did you play on that team? What did you learn about yourself in the experience?
Required Long Essay
Instructions: Present your response in list form, numbered from 1 - 25. Some points may only be a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages. For additional guidance in crafting this essay, read tips from an admissions counselor.
Question: The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that set the Fuqua experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions Team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us to get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you-beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are.
- A 1-page professional resume is required for all applicants.
- Include information on full- or part-time work experience, volunteer work, internships, and any student club or organization positions. For each, include the location, title, date, and responsibilities, starting with your most recent position.
- The education section should include dates of attendance and degrees you have or will receive.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation are required to complete your application.
- Your recommenders must complete the online recommendation forms associated with the application.
- Recommenders must also submit a 1-page letter (uploaded with the online recommendation form) that highlights:
- Your interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
- Your potential areas for improvement or growth.
- Submissions by email or mail are NOT accepted.
- One recommendation should reflect your performance in a professional setting—a job, internship, volunteer activity, or other service-oriented role. One recommendation should reflect your performance in an academic setting, and could come from someone such as a current or former professor.
- Recommendations from relatives and friends are strongly discouraged.
- Use your recommenders' work email addresses versus personal accounts, like Gmail or Yahoo, which will be more closely monitored in our credentials verification process.
Contact Admissions if you have questions about your letters of recommendation.
- GMAT or GRE
- You must take either the GMAT or GRE and have your scores sent directly to the admissions office.
- Your application is not complete until we receive your official GMAT or GRE scores from the testing center.
- We will accept scores up to 5 years old.
- There is no minimum score requirement.
- If you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam before submitting your application. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-19
- Scores may take approximately 20 days to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Use Duke program code 5156, and the 4201 Business Administration and Management Department name on your GRE exam
- Scores may take 4 - 6 weeks to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
- Application Fee
- A 125 USD nonrefundable application fee, payable by VISA or MasterCard, is due when you submit your online application.
- See if you qualify for an application fee waiver.