- Why MQM?
- Program Format
- Student Life
Criteria & Process
Below is general information about admission to the MQM program.
The 2017-2018 MQM application will be available in late-July.
You are encouraged to apply in the round where you can submit your best application.
International students requiring an F-1 visa, who are not already studying in the U.S. and are eligible for a transfer, must apply by the Round 2 deadline (Jan 17, 2018) to ensure sufficient time for visa processing.
Application Deadlines for 2017 - 2018
|Early Action||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4|
|Application Deadline||Sept 13, 2017||Oct 26, 2017||Jan 17, 2018||Feb 28, 2018||Apr 4, 2018|
|Interview Invitations Sent By Midnight (ET) — Not viewable on phone or mobile device.||Oct 5, 2017||Nov 17, 2017||Feb 19, 2018||Mar 28, 2018||Apr 30, 2018|
|Decision Notification (sent by midnight (ET) & not viewable on phone or mobile device)||Oct 24, 2017||Dec 11, 2017||Mar 12, 2018||Apr 17, 2018||May 17, 2018|
|Blue Devil Experience Weekend (once admitted, you may attend this event)|
Apr. 27-28, 2018
|Student Deposit Deadline||Nov. 14, 2017||Jan 10, 2018||Apr. 2, 2018||May 2, 2018||May 25, 2018|
|International Student Visa Paperwork Deadline||Feb. 9, 2018||Mar. 16, 2018||Apr. 19, 2018||N/A||N/A|
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm (EST) on deadline dates.
All applications are evaluated based on multiple criteria. Below we've outlined the application components we use to make an admission decision.
Academic Aptitude and Quantitative Proficiency
The MQM program's academic environment is rigorous, fast-paced, and requires strong quantitative and analytical skills. We evaluate standardized test scores, transcripts, and applicable work experience to gauge an applicant's ability to excel in the program. The Admissions Committee will pay particular attention to the quantitative segment of your test score.
There are no pre-requisite courses for the MQM program, but you must have, or will earn, an undergraduate degree from a 4-year accredited college or university prior to starting the program. It should be in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, business, economics or an equivalent quantitative major.
Professional Experience and Career Potential
The program accepts up to 3 years post-graduate work experience, either paid or unpaid, including volunteer positions, part-time work, and internships. We want to understand your personal motivators, quantitative experience, ability to work in a team environment, and any other skills that would ensure success at Fuqua and throughout your career.
Reflect on your experiences and make sure they are represented in your application. How have they helped you mature and develop leadership and teamwork skills? How will they enable you to be an active contributor to the MQM learning environment? How will you leverage your experiences to achieve your career goals?
Applicants for whom English is a second language must submit a score from an English proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE).
InitialView Interview: In addition to required ESL test scores, MQM applicants may provide an InitialView interview. For more information on how to reserve an interview and send your results to The Fuqua School of Business, please visit the InitialView website.
Who You Are
Recommendations, essays, interviews, and other qualitative measures are an important part of the admissions process.
- Your recommendation provides an unbiased, third party perspective on your ability to succeed at Fuqua. Prepare your recommender to represent you well and suggest highlighting aspects of your candidacy that do not come out in your application.
- Your essay helps us learn what drives you and what you can contribute to the MQM program and to Fuqua. This is your opportunity to fill in any gaps or provide additional details.
- Your interview gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your interpersonal skills—a critical component of your success in the program and in your future career. It also gives you the opportunity to show "fit" with the MQM program and the Fuqua community. To prepare, we suggest you research Fuqua and what the MQM program offers.
Here are some tips on how to approach each step of the application process. For more guidance on how to engage as a prospective MQM student, read some tips from an admissions counselor.
1. Start the conversation
Attend an information session, open house, or visit our campus to determine if the MQM program is right for you. Do your research and talk to family, friends, and mentors. Before starting your application, it's a good idea to review the deadlines and develop a timeline.
2. Apply Online
To access the online application, you will need to create an account within the application system, after which you will receive a PIN and password. You can access your account as many times as necessary. To start preparing, visit the Application Instructions page for details about the application components. Access the online application now.
You may schedule an interview during a designated campus visit, otherwise interviews are by invitation only.
4. Receive your decision
Review the decision notification timeline and deposit deadline for your application round. By midnight (Eastern Time) on the notification date for your round, you will receive an email notifying you to view your admissions decision online. You will be informed whether you've been accepted, waitlisted or rejected. The decision notification email is not viewable on mobile devices. If accepted to the program, you'll need to submit your nonrefundable 1,000 USD tuition deposit and hard copies of your official transcripts by the deposit deadline to reserve your place in the class.
5. Access the Incoming Student Website
A few months before the start of the program, you will get access to the Incoming Student Website, which will be your main resource to help you transition to academic life at Fuqua. This is where you will receive program announcements, technical and computer information, academic assignments to prepare, and relocation information. It's important that you visit the site often for updates and guidance.
6. Apply for your Visa (for international students only)
Visa application information and submission deadlines will be included in your admission packet. Processing can take up to several months to complete, so students are encouraged to apply as early as possible, but no later than the Round 3 deadline (Feb. 16, 2017) to ensure you are able to join the program. If you are currently in the U.S. on a student visa for another program, please contact our Admissions Office prior to making plans to leave the country or transferring your visa to ensure that the proper steps are taken to secure your new visa for the MQM program.
Interviews are conducted by Fuqua staff, alumni, or select second-year MBA students who will ask you a variety of questions, including ones about your educational background and personal interests. For more insights into the interview process, read one admissions counselor's tips for your Fuqua interview.
Interview During a Campus Visit
You may schedule an in-person interview as part of designated campus visits on the following dates:
- Nov. 11
- Nov. 14
- Jan. 27
- Feb. 24
Schedule the interview for one of the above dates using the online scheduling system, otherwise interviews are granted by invitation only. You are not required to submit your application before a campus visit interview. However, you will only be interviewed once, so be prepared if you choose to schedule one during a campus visit.
Interview by Invitation
Invitation-only interviews can be conducted at Fuqua or by Skype and all interview formats are evaluated equally. Invitation only interviews will be scheduled after you have submitted your application and it has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email.
Campus Visit Interviews:
- Select a time that allows you to participate in other campus visit activities.
- Bring a one-page professional resume.
- Arrive 20 minutes prior to allow adequate time for parking and checking in with Fuqua's Office of Admissions.
- Appropriate attire is business casual.
- Are available to those who live outside North Carolina.
- Are given equal weight and are in no way a disadvantage.
- Will include video whenever possible.
- Appropriate attire is business casual.
- Interviewers will have a copy of your resume, but no other component of your application.
- Are conducted in English and typically last 30 - 45 minutes.
- At the conclusion, you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
Applying for a Fee Waiver
If you qualify for a fee waiver (see criteria below), simply choose the "fee waiver" option and follow the instructions in the online application BEFORE you submit it. This is the only way to receive the waiver. We will NOT be able to offer refunds after you submit an application.
- Participants of Recruiting Events: Applicants who visit us get to see Fuqua in action and are better equipped to decide whether the MQM program is right for them. As a result, if you participate in certain recruiting events, you will qualify for an application fee waiver. Simply register for and attend an open house, information session, virtual information session, or visit our campus between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.
- Members of the U.S. Military: Military personnel whose status is active duty, active reserve, or honorably discharged/completed service (within 3 years) are eligible for the fee waiver. Only voluntary service is valid. Mandatory service may not be used for qualification.
- Alumni and Active Participants of the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, and Teach for America
- Members of Forte Foundation
- Members of Management Leadership for Tomorrow
- Special Requests to the Fuqua Admissions Committee: Where indicated in the application, include the reason for your waiver request, the date your request was granted, and the name of the Admissions Committee member granting approval.