Before you apply, it is important that you understand which MMS program is the best fit for your interests and goals. Two MMS program formats are available: the MMS: Foundations of Business program (MMS: FOB) and the MMS: Duke Kunshan University program (MMS: DKU). Compare the MMS: FOB and the MMS: DKU programs.
- You may only apply to 1 of the 2 MMS programs in an application year.
- Your application cannot be transferred to the other program.
- You cannot switch programs while you are a student.
At a minimum, you must have earned, or expect to earn, a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university by the time the MMS: FOB program starts. If you already have an MBA or its equivalent, you are not eligible for the MMS: FOB program. If you have more than 2 years of full-time, post-graduate work experience, please contact the admissions office to review your eligibility.
Below you will find detailed instructions about how to apply to the program. We appreciate your attention to ensuring your application package is complete because only complete application packages will be reviewed by the admissions committee. If you still have questions after reviewing the below information, send an email to Admissions Counselors Eric Rowell and Lisa Thomson.
- Online Application
The application for the MMS: FOB class starting in 2015 is only available online. Access the online application.
- The MMS application and recommendations can only be submitted online.
- You will need to create a user ID and password to access the system.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online system.
- You may access the application as many times as you like before submitting it.
- Your application will not be evaluated until you submit it and all supporting materials are received and verified.
- You cannot apply to both the MMS: FOB and MMS: DKU programs concurrently. Contact the admissions office to determine which program would be the best fit for you.
- You may only apply to one round in a given admissions cycle.
Refer to the "Transcript Request Form" in the "downloadable forms" section on the online application. This form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form is not part of the official application; it's simply provided to assist you in obtaining required information for your application.
- Legible, scanned copies of all official transcripts are required for each college or university you have attended. Official transcripts must include the university's seal and cannot be copied from an online grading system.
- Each course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcript(s).
- The "degree received" and "date conferred" must be clearly visible on your transcripts. If you have not yet graduated, these will be listed as "expected degree received" and "expected date conferred."
- If your transcript(s), do not state the degree and date conferred, please upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript.
- Unacceptable transcripts include self-reported transcripts and scanned copies of unofficial transcripts, including those from online grades sites.
When to Submit Hard Copies of Official Transcripts
If you are accepted into the MMS: FOB program, you must then submit hard copies of official transcript(s) in a sealed envelope from each college or university you attended.
Each student brings his/her unique passions to the program. When combined with business skills, these passions help you to launch a successful career and become a more well-rounded professional. The admissions committee wants to learn more about both your personal and professional motivations, and how you plan to contribute to the diversity of passions found at Fuqua. Respond to the following application questions and essays to allow us to get to know you better.
3 short answer questions and 2 essays are required for all applicants.
Required Short Answer Questions
Answer all three questions. Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words per question).
- Why are you pursuing the MMS degree at this stage in your professional development?
- What are your immediate career goals after completing the MMS program?
- Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the immediate goals that you provided above not materialize, what alternative directions have you considered?
Required Essay Questions
Answer both essay questions.
Respond fully and concisely, in 2 pages or less. Use a font size no less than 10-point, with 1.5 line spacing.
Essay Question: A significant part of the MMS experience will be honing your ability to work effectively within a diverse team. In a professional, volunteer, extracurricular, or academic setting, describe how you overcame a challenging situation within a team. What did you learn about yourself from this experience and how will you use this insight while working in teams at Fuqua?
Present your response in list form, numbered from 1 - 25. Some points may only be a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
Essay Question: The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that set the Fuqua experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions Team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us to get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you—beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are.
Our merit-based scholarships are based on the overall strength of your application, as well as the impact you will have on our community. If you would like to be considered for a merit-based scholarship, please explain the impact you hope to have on Fuqua, both within and outside the classroom.
Respond fully and concisely in 1 page or less, using 1.5 line spacing and a font size of no less than 10-point.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders or lack of a professional recommendation, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application). Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
An additional essay is required for re-applicants. It is not uncommon for it to take more than one try to achieve a goal. Please share with us the self-reflection process that you underwent after last year's application and how you have grown as a result. How did it shape your commitment to Fuqua and inspire your decision to reapply? Respond in 2 pages or less.
- A 1-page business resume is required for all applicants.
- Include employment information for volunteer work, internships, and full- or part-time work experience. For each, include the location, title, date, and responsibilities, starting with your most recent position.
- The education section should include dates of attendance and degrees received.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two recommendations are required to complete your application.
- Your recommenders must complete the online recommendation forms associated with the application.
- Recommenders must also submit a 1-page letter (uploaded with the online recommendation form) that highlights:
- Your interpersonal skills (e.g. effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment)
- Your potential areas for improvement or growth
- Submissions by email or mail are NOT accepted.
- One recommendation should reflect your performance in a professional setting—a job, internship, volunteer activity, or other service-oriented role.
- One recommendation should reflect your performance in an academic setting, and could come from someone such as a former professor.
- Recommendations from relatives and friends are strongly discouraged.
- Use your recommenders' work email addresses versus personal accounts, like Gmail or Yahoo, which will be more closely monitored in our credentials verification process.
Contact your admissions counselor if you have questions about your letters of recommendation.
- GMAT or GRE
- You must take either the GMAT or GRE and have your scores sent directly to the admissions office. The GMAT is preferred.
- Your application is not complete until we receive your official GMAT or GRE scores from the testing center.
- We will accept scores up to 5 years old.
- There is no minimum requirement.
- If you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam before submitting your application. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date.
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-19
- Scores may take approximately 20 days to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Use Duke program code 5156
- Scores may take 4 - 6 weeks to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
- Application Fee
- A 125 USD nonrefundable application fee, payable by VISA or MasterCard, is due when you submit your online application.
- See if you qualify for an application fee waiver.