Duke - The Fuqua School of Business

International Students

As a global business school, we understand the needs of international students. The Career Management Center (CMC) works closely with you to identify your unique challenges and helps you seek out the best resources available.

Recruiter Testimonial

"Fifty percent of our Fuqua MMS hires are international students who easily integrate into our culture. They are a source of talent that has been invaluable in today’s global environment." — Mike Wade, MBA '03 and Managing Director, Securities Capital Markets, Deloitte & Touche LLP (“Deloitte Advisory”)


Immigration Attorney Workshop

As an MMS: FOB international student, you are expected to attend our Immigration Attorney Workshop presented by experienced immigration lawyers. An immigration attorney presents key facts and processes that you should consider when conducting a job search. Information includes common ways to acquire US work authorization upon graduation, company sponsorship for a US internship, H-1B visa costs, Green Cards, and more.

Unique Resources

We have specialized ways of helping you search for work, including access to databases that identiy potential employers that may be interested in hiring international students. You'll be able to connect with corporations that recently sponsored international candidates for business-related positions and improve your chances of finding a company looking for your global perspective.

Domestic & International Opportunities

The CMC helps you navigate the hiring landscape and position yourself as a candidate in the field you choose, whether it's within the U.S. or internationally. If you are seeking international positions, much of your success will be contingent on your management of the process and capitalizing on all of the resources available to you.

Work Authorization

International students may be eligible for an internship or employment upon completion of the MMS: FOB program. Your U.S. visa status determines whether you are eligible for work on-campus during the 10-month program, but most student visas restrict or prohibit working off-campus during the program. F-1 students may apply for 12 months of post-degree Optional Practical Training (OPT) that permits employment in a job directly related to the MMS degree. To continue working in the U.S. beyond the period of OPT, you will need a company to sponsor you for a work-based visa, most typically the H-1B visa. For more information on the H-1B application process, visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.