A Champion for Work Experience
While in business school, Owen May (Daytime MBA ’83) realized the importance of hands-on work experience. After founding an investment firm, he opened the doors to many Fuqua students who have gained experience in financial modeling, international business, and negotiating. Read Full Profile.
Test the waters before jumping into the world of business. Short-term internships prepare you for a rewarding career by providing you with real-world experience and insight that help guide you down the most fulfilling career path.
Potential employers highly value internship experiences, so get a head start by taking advantage of an internship opportunity before you even get to Fuqua. Completing a Sumternship is a valuable experience that provides tangible work experience that full-time employers expect. Select internships are available for incoming students through our Career Management Center. If you are interested in a Fuqua-facilitated Sumternship, you're highly encouraged to apply by Round 3. You are also encouraged to seek out your own opportunities. Here is a partial list of companies where our students have interned:
- MD Global Partners
- Smart Online
- Shepherd Research
- Conflict Resolution Center
- Whitney Hill
Use your winter break to put your classroom learning into practice by working directly with businesses. Twenty-eight MMS: FOB students from the Class of 2012 participated in Winternships at 20 different companies which include both Fuqua and student facilitated engagements.
- MD Global Partners, LLC, an investment banking firm in New York City, has sponsored over 50 students for the past three years as Investment Banking Analysts. Students worked directly with CEO Owen May (Daytime MBA '83) and participated in client presentations, gaining experience in financial modeling, international business, and negotiating.
- Three interns supported and enhanced business relationships at Cisco Systems in Research Triangle Park by monitoring the Web Services Department's interactions with customers. The students produced a summary of findings which they presented to management.
- Interns compiled and analyzed the 1,400 best performing organizations in the sports industry for the Global Sport Leadership Advisory Group division at Heidrick & Struggles in Chicago.
- At Improv'eat, a gluten-free and organic food producer, an MMS: FOB intern created and designed a social media marketing plan and managed their relationship with Whole Foods Market.
- Two students interned at Hargrove, a special event and trade show company. One worked as a marketing intern, the other in the Business Process Office.
Internship opportunities for international students are limited. Visit the International Students career page for further details about work authorization and visa requirements.