The Duke MBA
Your Admissions Counselor
Contact Amanda Laird, your admissions counselor, who can help guide you through the admissions process.
Winning Company Buy-in for her MBA
Alison McKay convinced her management that she was an excellent candidate for the Cross Continent MBA. Read her story.
Learn more about The Duke MBA—Cross Continent program.
Our Cross Continent admissions staff is accessible and eager to speak with you. If you're interested in the program, contact one of our admissions counselors. Their role is to understand your ambitions, review your history, and make recommendations on how you can prepare to apply. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.919.660.7705 to embark on a new adventure of self improvement and a lifetime of improved career opportunities.
Attend an upcoming information session (available online and in select locations) to learn more about the Cross Continent program.
Access the online application.
It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible to give yourself the longest possible time to prepare both academically and professionally for the program.
If you are concerned about your quantitative readiness for the program, you should not apply in the final deadline round because the late deadline may not allow for adequate quantitative assessment and preparation. Please visit our MBA Ready website to determine whether there is additional preparation you may wish to complete.
International Students: Visa processing can take up to several months to complete, so it is critical to apply by May 6, 2015, if you require a visa, to ensure that you are able to join the program.
Cross Continent Admission Deadlines for 2014 - 2015
|Application Round||Submission Deadline|
|1||Oct. 15, 2014|
|2||Dec. 2, 2014|
|3||Feb. 11, 2015|
|4||April 1, 2015|
|5||May 6, 2015|
|6||June 3, 2015|
Additional application and admissions updates will be posted by the end of August 2014.
Access the online application. Additional application instructions are below.
Step 1: Start the Conversation
- Determine if The Duke MBA—Cross Continent program is of interest to you.
- Contact an admissions counselor for advice. They will help you determine if you are a good candidate for the program.
Fuqua Admissions Counselor
Email email@example.com or call +1.919.660.7705
- Attend an information session, an alumni event, or ask an admissions counselor or regional manager for the name of a current student or alumnus to talk to.
- Start talking to your family and employer about your intentions. You will need their support throughout the program.
Step 2: Apply
- Access the Online Application
- Application Requirements: The following are required to complete your application (further details are available in the online system):
- Completed electronic application, including a $225 USD application fee (paid online by Visa or MasterCard only). See if you qualify for an application fee reduction or waiver.
- To facilitate the collection and submission of official transcripts, a transcript request form is provided in the downloadable forms section of the online application. To request official transcripts, you may choose to send completed transcript request forms to the registrar of each college or university that you have attended. This transcript request form is NOT a required part of the application. It is solely provided to assist you in obtaining required information. We must receive the official transcripts by the stated deadline. If transcripts are not in English, provide a certified translation along with the original.
- Current resume or CV
- 3 short answer questions and 2 essays are required. Learn more about the essays.
- 2 letters of recommendation (one must be from your current, immediate supervisor)
- A letter from your current employer outlining your company's support of time and/or financial commitment. Proprietors or principals of a company can provide a letter of self-sponsorship. View a sample letter of support.
- Official GMAT score sent directly from the test administrator to The Fuqua School of Business. You should schedule a test date at least 3 weeks in advance of your application submission. GMAT scores less than 5 years old are acceptable. For more information visit www.mba.com.
- Where applicable, official TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS scores for applicants whose native language is not English. These scores are not needed if the applicant's entire undergraduate education was instructed in English. More information about these tests is available at www.toefl.org, www.mba.com, and www.ielts.org.
- An admissions interview
- Your application will not be reviewed by the admissions committee, and a decision will not be made on your acceptance until all application materials are received by the admissions office.
Step 3: Interview
- An interview is required. Your application is not complete without the interview.
- Before scheduling an interview, you are encouraged to first contact an Admissions Counselor who will provide feedback on your candidacy, offer insight into the admissions process, and ensure that you make the most of your interview.
- Visit the Interviews and Open Houses page for more details, and use our online system to schedule your interview. The system is not connected to the online application, so you will need to create a unique account for each.
Step 4: Decide
- Receive an admissions decision (typically 4 - 6 weeks after you submit your completed application). If you are accepted, a deposit of 6,000 USD, due three weeks after admission, will secure your place in the program.
Step 5: Matriculation
- Congratulations and welcome to The Duke MBA! You are about to embark on an exciting new time in your life and we are pleased you chose Duke. Get ready to broaden your horizons in the Cross Continent program as you travel to and study in different parts of the world!
- Academic Preparation: Pre-program academic preparation is required of all students and contributes significantly to their success as they prepare for their MBA studies. There are a number of resources available to ensure you are fully prepared for the rigor of a top MBA program. In addition to the required work on the Incoming Student Website, you can also visit our MBA Ready pages to determine whether there is any other additional preparation you might wish to complete.
- Incoming Student Website: A few months prior to the start of your program, you will have access to your Incoming Student Website where you will find all the information you need to successfully transition into your new academic life. Among other information, this website includes general announcements, information on technical/computer requirements, required academic preparation assignments, and travel/residency information, including visa requirements.
- Visa Processing: All international students travelling to Durham will need an F-1 student visa. Duke will assist students in obtaining the I-20 form which will be required for the student visa. If you already are lawfully present in the U.S. (e.g., H1-B, J-2, PR Applicants, etc.), you will need to complete the web form. Your current visa status will not be affected, but all non-immigrant visa holders are required to register their presence on campus. If you are a Green Card holder, you are required to present your "Green Cards" at Registration, so be sure to bring the original document to campus. Duke does not issue visas for residencies outside of the U.S. We assist in providing the paperwork explaining why you need to be in the designated location for the residencies. Email the admissions team for further guidance or call +1.919.660.7705.
Three short answer questions and two essays are required for all applicants. Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process. Responses should be submitted within the online application.
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions. For each short answer question, respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).
- What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
- What are your long-term goals?
- Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize, what alternative directions have you considered?
Required Essays: Answer both essay questions.
- The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions Team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, their background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you—beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.
Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages, with a font size no less than 10-point.
We find that our students apply to our programs for a variety of reasons and that each person brings a unique perspective to the program that adds to the learning experience inside and outside the classroom. What do you hope to gain from The Duke MBA and how will your skills, training and background enhance your cohort's experience? Please include both personal and professional insight that may not be apparent through your resume and other application materials.
Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.
Optional Essay: If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application). Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
Re-applicant Essay: An additional essay is required for re-applicants. It is not uncommon for it to take more than one try to achieve a goal. Please share with us the self-reflection process that you underwent after last year’s application and how you have grown as a result. How did it shape your commitment to Fuqua and inspire your decision to reapply?
Access the online application.
Each applicant is expected to submit a completed application package to The Duke MBA Office of Admissions. The admissions committee will only review complete application packages, which must include the following items:
- Completed and submitted online application, including the required essays
- Non-refundable application fee of $225 USD (see if you qualify for an application fee reduction or waiver)
- Current resume/CV
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework, in English (download the Transcript Request Form). Include a copy of your degree diploma/certificate if your degree and graduation date are not listed on your transcripts. If original transcripts are not in English, they must be translated and certified by an official translation service. Upload only scanned official transcripts within the online application.
- Official GMAT scores
- Official results from the TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS exam for applicants whose native language is not English
- Letter from your current employer outlining your company's support of time and/or financial commitment. Proprietors or principals of a company can provide a letter of self-sponsorship. View a sample letter of support.
- Completed interview (visit the Interviews and Open Houses page for details)
Fuqua has retained Re Vera Services, LLC to verify the information included in applications. We do this to deter fraudulent applications and preserve the integrity of our community. If you are admitted, you will be provided with instructions on the verification process, which could take a few weeks to process. You will also be responsible for the fee for this service. Any omission, falsification or misrepresentation in your application, including violations of GMAT, GRE, or any ESL testing policies, is grounds for automatic revocation of all offers of admission and financial assistance, or expulsion from The Fuqua School of Business.
Our admissions committee considers a number of factors when evaluating an application. These factors are taken into consideration from a holistic perspective. We are looking for students who we believe will be successful in the program and who will add significant value to the program through their professional and academic experience. The application components provide the applicant an opportunity to demonstrate they are a good fit for the program.
The Cross Continent MBA program is for working professionals. You must be employed on a full-time basis and have a minimum of 3 years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience to qualify for the program. Use the application to articulate the value of your work experience as it relates to contributing to the learning environment, and how your work experience has helped you develop leadership and teamwork skills, as well as maturity, on both professional and personal levels.
We admit applicants with a range of GMAT scores. There is no minimum requirement. However, if you feel that you have not scored your personal best or that the results are not representative of your ability, you may re-take the exam (before you submit your application). It may take three weeks for official scores to be sent to the school.
Past Academic Performance
We admit applications with a range of GPAs. We do not favor a particular undergraduate degree, and students come from a wide range of academic backgrounds.
Your letters of recommendation are important because they provide valuable, independent information about your capabilities. One letter must come from your current supervisor. If you are self-employed, please speak with your admissions counselor to determine how to fulfill this requirement
Essays are an opportunity to share your perspective directly with the admissions committee. The goal of the essays is to gain a greater understanding of why you want to pursue an MBA, and what you will bring to Duke, in addition to the experiences you have had that shape your unique perspective.
The interview provides an opportunity for our admissions committee to get to know you better. It's also a chance for you to provide a more personal explanation of your background and interests, as well as a chance to have your questions answered in a one-on-one setting.
If you qualify for a fee waiver or reduction, simply choose the "fee waiver or reduction" option and follow the instructions in the online application BEFORE you submit it. This is the only way to receive the waiver. We are NOT able to offer refunds after you submit an application.
Qualifications for Waiver
- You are a member of the military: Active duty, U.S. active reserve, or honorably discharged/completed service (within 3 years) military personnel. Only voluntary service is valid. Mandatory service may not be used for qualification.
- You are an active participant or alumnus/na of the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or Teach for America.
- You receive Fuqua Admissions Committee approval. Include the reason for your waiver request and the name of the committee member granting approval.
- You are a member of the Forte Foundation or Management Leadership for Tomorrow.
- You attend one of Fuqua's diversity events: The Duke MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants, The Duke MBA Weekend for Women, The Duke MBA LGBT Weekend or The Duke MBA Veterans' Symposium for Military Applicants.
Qualifications for a Reduction (Apply for $125 vs. $225)
- Receive a referral or recommendation from a Fuqua student or alumnus/alumna:
- Current Fuqua students must complete the student referral form on FuquaWorld
- Fuqua alumni must complete the alumni recommendation form
- Register for and attend at least one of the following activities between now and June 30: