- Why Cross Continent
- Admission Interviews
- Admissions Events
- Student Blog
- Program Delivery
- Career Management
- Global Network
- Costs & Financial Aid
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 2015 - 2016 Calendar
- 2016 - 2017 Calendar
- Incoming Students (login required)
Our Cross Continent admissions staff is accessible and eager to speak with you. If you're interested in the program, contact one of our admissions counselors. Their role is to understand your ambitions, review your history, and make recommendations on how you can prepare to apply. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.919.660.7705 to embark on a new adventure of self improvement and a lifetime of improved career opportunities.
Attend an upcoming information session (available online and in select locations) to learn more about the Cross Continent program.
It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible to give yourself the longest possible time to prepare both academically and professionally for the program.
If you are concerned about your quantitative readiness for the program, you should not apply in the final deadline round because the late deadline may not allow for adequate quantitative assessment and preparation. Please visit our MBA Ready website to determine whether there is additional preparation you may wish to complete.
International Students: Visa processing can take up to several months to complete, so it is critical to apply by May 4, 2016, if you require a visa, to ensure that you are able to join the program.
Admission Deadlines for 2015 - 2016
|Application Round||Submission Deadline|
|1||Oct. 21, 2015|
|2||Dec. 2, 2015|
|3||Feb. 10, 2016|
|4||March 30, 2016|
|5||May 4, 2016|
|6||June 1, 2016|
Our admissions committee considers a number of factors when evaluating an application. These factors are taken into consideration from a holistic perspective. We are looking for students who we believe will be successful in the program and who will add significant value to the program through their professional and academic experience. The application components provide the applicant an opportunity to demonstrate they are a good fit for the program.
The Cross Continent MBA program is for working professionals. You must be employed on a full-time basis and have a minimum of 3 years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience to qualify for the program. Use the application to articulate the value of your work experience as it relates to contributing to the learning environment, and how your work experience has helped you develop leadership and teamwork skills, as well as maturity, on both professional and personal levels.
GMAT or GRE
We admit applicants with a range of GMAT and GRE scores. There is no minimum requirement. However, if you feel that you have not scored your personal best or that the results are not representative of your ability, you may re-take the exam (before you submit your application). It may take three weeks for official scores to be sent to the school. GMAT/GRE waivers are offered on a case-by-case basis for candidates whose academic background is strong, specifically in quantitative subjects.
Past Academic Performance
We admit applications with a range of GPAs. We do not favor a particular undergraduate degree, and students come from a wide range of academic backgrounds.
Your letters of recommendation are important because they provide valuable, independent information about your capabilities. One letter must come from your current supervisor. If you are self-employed, please speak with your admissions counselor to determine how to fulfill this requirement
Essays are an opportunity to share your perspective directly with the admissions committee. The goal of the essays is to gain a greater understanding of why you want to pursue an MBA, and what you will bring to Duke, in addition to the experiences you have had that shape your unique perspective.
The interview provides an opportunity for our admissions committee to get to know you better. It's also a chance for you to provide a more personal explanation of your background and interests, as well as a chance to have your questions answered in a one-on-one setting.
Step 1: Start the Conversation
- Determine if The Duke MBA—Cross Continent program is of interest to you.
- Contact an admissions counselor at email@example.com or +1.919.660.7705. They will help you determine if you are a good candidate for the program.
- Attend an information session, an alumni event, or ask an admissions counselor or regional manager for the name of a current student or alumnus to talk to.
- Start talking to your family and employer about your intentions. You will need their support throughout the program.
Step 2: Apply
Application Requirements: The following are required to complete your application (further details are available in the online system):
- Current resume or CV.
- 1 short answer question and 2 essays.
- 2 letters of recommendation (one must be from your current, immediate supervisor).
- Letter of support from your current employer outlining your company's support of time and/or financial commitment. Proprietors or principals of a company can provide a letter of self-sponsorship. View a sample letter of support.
- Upload a legible, scanned transcript for each college or university you have attended, even if a degree was not awarded.
- Official GMAT or GRE score sent directly from the test administrator to The Fuqua School of Business. You should schedule a test date at least 3 weeks in advance of your application submission. GMAT scores less than 5 years old are acceptable. For more information visit www.mba.com. GMAT/GRE waivers are offered on a case-by-case basis for candidates whose academic background is strong, specifically in quantitative subjects, and for whom the GMAT/GRE would not necessarily be a useful predictor of success in the program. Contact the admissions counselor for more information.
- $225 USD application fee (paid online by Visa or MasterCard only). Application fee waivers are available for some qualified applicants.
Your application will not be reviewed by the admissions committee, and a decision will not be made on your acceptance until all application materials are received by the admissions office.
Step 3: Interview
- An interview is required. Your application is not complete without the interview.
- Before scheduling an interview, you are encouraged to first contact an Admissions Counselor who will provide feedback on your candidacy, offer insight into the admissions process, and ensure that you make the most of your interview.
- Visit the Admission Interviews page for more details, and use our online system to schedule your interview. The system is not connected to the online application, so you will need to create a unique account for each.
Step 4: Decide
- Receive an admissions decision (typically 2 - 4 weeks after you submit your completed application). If you are accepted, a deposit of 6,000 USD is due three weeks after admission to secure your place in the program.
Step 5: Matriculation
Get ready to broaden your horizons in the Cross Continent program as you travel to and study in different parts of the world!
- Academic Preparation: Pre-program academic preparation is required of all students and contributes significantly to their success as they prepare for their MBA studies. There are a number of resources available to ensure you are fully prepared for the rigor of a top MBA program. In addition to the required work on the Incoming Student Website, you can also visit our MBA Ready pages to determine whether there is any other additional preparation you might wish to complete.
- Official Transcripts: Once you are accepted into the MBA program, you must then submit official transcript(s) and translations (if applicable) from each college or university you attended. These copies must be received in conjunction with your tuition deposit at the designated deadline for your application round.
To complete this requirement, you may send an electronic copy of your official transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org from each college or university you attended. Or, you may elect to have hard copies sent in a sealed envelope directly from each college or university you attended to the address below:
The Fuqua School of Business
Office of Admissions
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120
Failure to submit official transcripts on time, or any misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information, is grounds for automatic revocation of any offer of admission and financial assistance.
- Request Transcript(s): Use the "Transcript Request Form" in the "downloadable forms" section in the online application. This form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form is not part of the official application; it's provided to assist you in obtaining required information for your application.
- Legible, scanned copies of all transcripts are required for each college or university you have attended.
- Each course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcripts.
- Your transcript must display your name and the name of the institution.
- The degree received and date conferred must be clearly visible on your transcripts.
- If your transcripts do not state the degree and date conferred, upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript.
- If your transcript is not in English, you must make arrangements to have it translated, attested, and uploaded in addition to the originals.
- Incoming Student Website: A few months prior to the start of your program, you will have access to your Incoming Student Website where you will find all the information you need to successfully transition into your new academic life. Among other information, this website includes general announcements, information on technical/computer requirements, required academic preparation assignments, and travel/residency information, including visa requirements.
- Visa Processing: All international students travelling to Durham will need an F-1 student visa. Duke will assist students in obtaining the I-20 form that is required for the student visa. If you already are lawfully present in the U.S. (e.g., H1-B, J-2, PR Applicants, etc.), you will need to complete the web form. Your current visa status will not be affected, but all non-immigrant visa holders are required to register their presence on campus. If you are a Green Card holder, you are required to present your "Green Cards" at Registration, so be sure to bring the original document to campus. Duke does not issue visas for residencies outside of the U.S. We assist in providing the paperwork explaining why you need to be in the designated location for the residencies. Email the admissions team for further guidance or call +1.919.660.7705.
- International students in The Duke MBA—Cross Continent program are not eligible for any type of work authorization associated with their F-1 student status. This includes the F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT). The baseline eligibility requirement of OPT is an F-1 Visa that spans a full academic year. An international student in the Cross Continent program has an F-1 Visa that spans only a one month period of stay in the U.S. for a residency.
One short answer question and two essays are required for all applicants. All essays must be completed before submitting your online application. Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process. You may also submit an optional essay (details below) to explain any extenuating circumstances about which the Admissions Committee should be aware.
All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will not be tolerated in the admissions process.
Required Short Answer Question:
What are your career goals? Respond in a maximum of 100 words.
Answer both of the below essay questions:
- How will your skills, training and background enhance your cohort's experience? Please include both personal and professional insight that may not be apparent through your resume and other application materials. Your response should be a maximum of 250 words.
- Duke University is embedded in the world's most important economic regions. As a result, our students experience a unique learning environment in which programs are delivered on 4 different continents, by our world-renowned faculty. Our diverse student cohorts represent a vast array of professional backgrounds, nationalities, interests, and experiences. Serving students who are also working professionals, The Duke MBA—Cross Continent program allows student to apply new skills immediately in the workplace and reap the benefits from their first-hand global experiences. Explain how you and your organization will benefit from the global education offered at Duke. Your response should be a maximum of 500 words.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application). Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
Based on qualifying events, you may be eligible to receive an application fee waiver.
Qualifications for Waiver:
You may be eligible to receive an application fee waiver if you meet at least one of the below criteria:
Military, Peace Corps, AmeriCorps or Teach for America Service:
You are a member of the military—active duty, U.S. active reserve, or honorably discharged/completed service (within 3 years) military personnel. Only voluntary service is valid. Mandatory service may not be used for qualification.
You are an active participant or alumnus/na of the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or Teach for America.
You receive Fuqua Admissions Committee approval. In your application, include the reason for your waiver request and the name of the committee member granting approval.
Member of Forte Foundation or Management Leadership for Tomorrow:
You are a current member of the Forte Foundation or Management Leadership for Tomorrow.
Attend a Fuqua Admissions Event or Diversity Event:
Before submitting your application, you register for and attend at least one of the activities listed below. Indicate the event type, location and month of attendance in your online application. (MBA Fairs are not considered qualifying events.)
- Open House
- Information Session
- Virtual Information Session
- Meet & Greet
Learn more about these admissions events.
- The Duke MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants
- The Duke MBA Weekend for Women
- The Duke MBA LGBT Weekend
- The Duke MBA Veterans' Symposium for Military Applicants
Student or Alumni Recommendation:
You obtain a recommendation from a current Fuqua student or alumnus/alumna. Current Fuqua students must complete the online peer recommendation form, while Fuqua alumni must complete the alumni recommendation form.
In your application, include the name, program (Daytime, Cross Continent, Weekend Executive, Global Executive, Master of Management Studies: Foundations of Business, or Master of Management Studies: Duke Kunshan University) year of graduation (if known), and the email address of the person who submitted your recommendation.
Instructions to Apply for Fee Waiver:
- Meet at least one of the above criteria.
- Select an Application Round in the Personal Information section of the online application.
- Choose the "fee waiver" option within your online application and follow the related instructions.
- Submit your application after all sections are complete, however do NOT submit your application if you are asked for credit card information.
Following the above instructions is the only way to receive an application fee waiver. If you submit your online application without selecting the "fee waiver" option, then you will not qualify for the waiver, and no refund will be available.
Allow a minimum of 2 business days for the admissions office to process your application fee waiver. You will receive a fee waiver confirmation via email when your waiver is activated.