The Duke MBA
The Health Sector Management (HSM) and Master of Management in Clinical Informatics (MMCi) programs bring leaders together to discuss critical health sector topics and to provide impetus for positively shaping the global health care community. In addition to strengthening relationships between HSM and leading health-related organizations, these conferences expose HSM and MMCi students to issues beyond the classroom.
HSM-sponsored industry events focusing on health informatics, clinical outcomes, and medical devices bolster student recruitment activities and triggered actions that have reverberated throughout the health care community. Students who participate and/or serve as conference aides, continually rate the conferences highly in terms of their opportunity to interact with speakers, panelists, and distinguished attendees.
How Might Wireless Technology Transform Health Care?
Kevin A. Schulman, MD, MBA, Director of the Fuqua Health Sector Management Program and a co-host of the 2010 Wireless Technology and Healthcare Conference, shares his thoughts on the potential for wireless technology to transform the healthcare system. See the interview.
There are no upcoming conferences at this time.
To inquire about conference opportunities, contact email@example.com.
"Having a diverse class of passionate students, professors, industry and health care delivery professionals in an academic setting allows for extremely thought-provoking discussions. Presentations by outside experts added robust texture to the topics being reviewed. This is one of the best investments in professional development I have made in my career."
— Ruben Dario Taborda (Weekend Executive MBA '94) VP, Medical Device Procurement / Supplier Diversity Hispanic Employee Resource Group Co-leader Johnson & Johnson Global Procurement
Past conferences organized and hosted by HSM include:
- Third Annual Duke Center for Health Informatics Conference 2012: Business Transformation Through Informatics
- Third Annual Medical Innovation and Strategies Conference 2011:
The Future of Healthcare, Wireless and Consumer Healthcare.
October 12, 2011
- Second Annual Informatics Conference 2011: Business Intelligence in the Health Care Age: "The Meaningful Use of Meaningful Use Data." See the conference summary . Consult our e-newsletters:
- Second Annual Medical Innovation and Strategies Conference 2010: The Future of Healthcare, Wireless and Consumer Healthcare, in partnership with the Pratt School of Engineering. See the conference summary . Consult our e-newsletters, listen to podcasts and read interviews related to this conference:
- The Duke Center for Health Care Quality Conference: "Next Generation of Quality" was held in partnership with Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke School of Medicine on April 21, 2010. See conference summary.
- The Duke Center for Health Informatics Conference: "Meaningful Use" in partnership with HSM, Duke University Health System and DCHI, was held on March 11, 2010. See conference summary.
- HSM’s Inaugural Medical Innovation and Strategies Conference: The Future of Healthcare, Wireless, and Consumer Healthcare, was held on September 23, 2009. See conference summary.
- Comparative Effectiveness: Opportunities and Challenges for Medical Products, in partnership with Duke Clinical Research Institute, was held on June 3 - 4, 2009.
- Delivering on the Value Proposition for Connectivity and Health IT Conference, in partnership with Duke Health Systems, was held on April 23, 2009. See conference summary.
April 18, 2012
Sampling of conference speakers
- Asif Ahmad, MBA, US Oncology/McKesson Speciality, Executive Vice President Clinical & Technology Service
- Wade Baker, Director- Risk Intelligence, Verizon Business
- Cathy Burrows, Director of Enterprise Information and Customer Management Support, Royal Bank of Canada
- Mark A. Dente, MD, Chief Medical Informatics Officer, GE Healthcare IT
- Tony Fisher, President & CEO, DataFlux
- Nancy Green, Managing Principal, Healthcare Practice, Verizon Business - Global Services
- Jane Griffin, Rph, Director, Research Solutions, Cerner
- Sean M. Hogan, MBA, VP, Global Healthcare Delivery Systems, IBM Global Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Thomas Jepsen, Chair, IEEE-USA Medical Technology Policy Committee
- Don Jones, Vice President, Qualcomm Health & Life Sciences; Founder and Chairman, Wireless Life Sciences Alliance; Founding & Former Board Member of West Wireless Health Institute
- Chris Krubert, MD, MBA, CEO of ApolloMD
- David McCallie, MD, VP, Medical Informatics, Cerner
- Cathy Menkiena, RN, MBA, BSN, IBM, Associate Partner, Business Analytics and Optimization Practice
- Dr. Richard Migliori, CMO, OptumHealth and CHO, UnitedHealth Group Alliances
- Jeff Miller, Vice President, Head of Healthcare, Capgemini
- John Murphy, DrPH, MPH,BS, Head of Clinical Analytics, VP and Managing Director- Patient Data Analytics, Quintiles
- Victoria Neidigh, VP Health & Wellness, NBC News and NBC Universal
- Stephen N. Oesterle, MD, Sr. VP, Medicine & Technology, Medtronic
- Daniel Pelino, General Manager, IBM, Global Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry
- JP Peltier, Managing Director, Medtech Piper Jaffray
- Peter Preziosi, PhD, RN, Healthcare Innovation Strategist, Verizon Innovation Group
- Anna Ramanathan, CIO, Washington County Regional Medical Center
- Harry Reynolds, IBM, Director, Health Plan Transformation, Global Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry
- Kaveh Safavi, VP of Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group Healthcare Vertical
- George Savage, MD, CMO Proteus BioMedical
- Steve Savas, Principal, McKinsey & Company
- John Shagoury, MBA, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Healthcare Division, Nuance Communications, Inc
- James Spalding, PharmD, MS, Director, Global Health Economics, GE Healthcare
- Richard Staelin, Edward and Rose Donnell Professor, Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
- William W. Stead, MD, Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Chief Strategy and Information Officer at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Peter Tippett, PhD, MD, CMO and Vice President of Security Solutions and Enterprise Innovation for Verizon Business
- Dean Torres, Senior Industry Specialist, Healthcare, Teradata Corporation
- Thinh H. Tran, MD, Corp VP and Chief Quality and Patient Safety Officer, Baptist Health South Florida
- Vijay B. Venkatesan, Vice President, Management Information & Analysis, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc.
- Jay Watkins, Partner, De Novo Ventures
- David Watson, Chief Operating Officer, MedeAnalytics, Inc.
- Victoria Weaver, Assistant Vice President, Clinical Services Group, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA)