Congratulations! You've decided to apply to the Weekend Executive MBA program. Below you will find detailed instructions about how to apply. We appreciate you ensuring your application package is complete because only entire application packages will be reviewed by the admissions committee.
If you have any questions about the application, email your admissions counselor, Krystin Fleming or call +1.919.660.7705. She's here to help guide you through the admissions process.
- Online Application
- The Weekend Executive MBA application can only be submitted online.
- You will need to create a user ID and password to access the system.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online system.
- You may access the application as much as you like before submitting it.
- Your application will not be evaluated until submitted and all supporting materials are received and verified.
- In the online application, upload a legible, scanned transcript for each college or university you have attended, even if a degree was not awarded.
- Each course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcript(s).
- The "degree received" and "date conferred" must be clearly visible on your transcript(s).
- If your transcript(s) do not state the degree and date conferred, please upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript(s).
- The transcript(s) must be in English. If they are not, you must submit both original and translated documents.
- Self-reported transcripts are not acceptable.
Refer to the "Transcript Request Form" in the "downloadable forms" section on the online application. This form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form is not part of the official application; it's simply provided to assist you in obtaining required information for your application.
When to Submit Official Transcripts
Once you are accepted into the MBA program, you must then submit official transcript(s) and translations (if applicable) from each college or university you attended. These copies must be received in conjunction with your $6,000 tuition deposit at the designated deadline for your application round.
To complete this requirement, you may send an electronic copy of your official transcript(s) to email@example.com from each college or university you attended. Or, you may elect to have hard copies sent in a sealed envelope directly from each college or university you attended to the address below:
The Fuqua School of Business
Office of Admissions
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120
Failure to submit official transcripts on time, or any misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information, is grounds for automatic revocation of any offer of admission and financial assistance.
The GMAT or GRE is required. You must have your scores sent directly from the testing service to the admissions office and they must be received prior to your application round deadline. We will accept scores up to 5 years old. There is no minimum test score requirement. If you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-18
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Use Duke program code 5156, and the 4201 Business Administration and Management Department name on your GRE exam
GMAT/GRE waivers are offered on a case-by-case basis for those candidates whose academic background is strong, specifically in quantitative subjects, and for whom the GMAT/GRE would not necessarily be a useful predictor of success in the program. Contact the admissions counselor for more information.
- One short answer question and 2 essays are required for all applicants.
- Responses should be submitted within the online application.
- All essays must be completed before submitting your online application.
- All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will not be tolerated in the admissions process.
Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process. You may also submit an optional essay (details below) to explain any extenuating circumstances about which the Admissions Committee should be aware.
Required Short Answer Question:
What are your career goals? Respond in a maximum of 100 words.
Required Essay Questions:
- How will your skills, training and background enhance your cohort's experience? Please include both personal and professional insight that may not be apparent through your resume and other application materials. Your response should be a maximum of 250 words.
- The Weekend Executive MBA program brings together a unique network of students representing a diverse set of companies, industries, and personal and professional backgrounds. The interactive classroom experience is facilitated by Duke's top-ranked faculty, and students have access to our highly qualified Career Management Center staff for support in managing career growth. Serving participants who are also working professionals, The Weekend Executive MBA program allows students to immediately apply new skills in the workplace and see classroom lessons applied in real world situations. How will your Duke MBA experience benefit you, and your organization? Your response should be a maximum of 500 words.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or significant weakness in your application). Do NOT upload additional essays or additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
- A business resume is required.
- Include employment information and relevant volunteer work. State locations, titles, dates, and responsibilities starting with your most recent position.
- The education section should include dates of attendance and degrees received.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two recommendations are required.
- One recommendation must be from your current supervisor.
- Your recommenders must complete the recommendation forms associated with the online application. Submissions by email or mail are NOT accepted.
- Use your recommenders' work email addresses versus personal accounts, like Gmail or Yahoo, which will be more closely monitored in our credentials verification process.
- Recommendations from relatives and friends are strongly discouraged.
Recommendation Form Questions
- Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.
- Comment on the applicant's interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
- What are the applicant's three primary talents or strengths? Please provide examples, if relevant.
- In what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth? If you have had the opportunity to provide the applicant with constructive feedback, please provide specific examples and the applicant's response to it.
- Letter of Support
- A letter from your current employer outlining your company's support of time is required.
- This letter may also include information about your employer's financial commitment, but financial sponsorship is not required.
- Proprietors or principals of a company can provide a letter of self-sponsorship
- Official Interview
An official interview is required. Interviewers will have a copy of your resume, but no other component of your application.
Interviews are conducted:
- At any point in the admissions process
- In-person at the Fuqua campus in Durham, NC, or by phone or Skype
- By an admissions officer
- In English and typically last 30 minutes to an hour
You are required to schedule an official interview, which can be done before or after submitting the online application. Schedule your interview online (the interview scheduling system is not connected to the online application, so you will need to create a unique account for each).
- Application Fee
- A non-refundable 225 USD application fee, payable by VISA or MasterCard, is due when you submit your online application.
- See if you qualify for an application fee waiver.