The Duke MBA
Your Admissions Counselor
Contact Andy Medlin, your admissions counselor, who can help guide you through the admissions process.
Our Weekend Executive admissions staff are accessible and eager to speak with you. If you're interested in the program, contact our admissions counselor Andy Medlin. His role is to understand your ambitions, review your history, and make recommendations on how you can prepare to apply. Contact Andy as soon as possible for individual guidance.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to embark on a new adventure of self improvement and a lifetime of improved career opportunities.
Access the online application. Additional application instructions are below.
Access the Online Application. Complete the application online and submit it electronically once all questions are answered.
- You do not have to complete the online application all at once. Until you are ready to submit, you may access your application and edit your answers as many times as you like with your PIN and password.
- The online application features sections on personal and program information including:
|Self-reported test scores||Activities & achievements|
|Education history||Financial aid information|
You must electronically submit a business resume. The resume should contain employment and education background. The employment section should include locations, titles, and dates, starting with your most recent job. The education section should include dates of attendance and degrees received. View a sample resume.
Prepare your essays carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your responses to essay questions important in the selection process. Respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing. Avoid using a font size smaller than 10-point.
GMAT or GRE
The GMAT or GRE is required (the GMAT is preferred). You must have your scores sent directly from the testing service to the admissions office. We will accept scores up to 5 years old. There is no minimum test score requirement. If you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam before submitting your application. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date. You must request that your official score be sent to Fuqua prior to your application round deadline.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-32
- Information on registering and sending scores
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Use Duke program code 5156
- Information on registering and sending scores
Test Waiver: GMAT/GRE waivers are offered on a case-by-case basis for those candidates whose academic background is strong, specifically in quantitative subjects, and for whom the GMAT/GRE would not necessarily be a useful predictor of success in the program. Contact the admissions counselor for more information.
English Language Proficiency Tests
If your undergraduate (or other) degree is from an institution whose primary language of instruction was English, then you do not need to submit results from an English language proficiency test. If your primary language of institution was not in English, then you are required to submit results from one of these tests.
- All test scores are valid for two years.
- The test must be taken and official scores received in our office prior to your application round deadline.
- Allow at least 4 weeks for test scores to be delivered to Fuqua.
Waiver: This requirement is waived for international applicants holding non-technical master's degrees or a non-technical PhD from colleges or universities where English was the language of instruction for the entire course of study. This information should be indicated in the appropriate fields within the "Education" section of your application. You may indicate the primary language of instruction as English by checking the appropriate box listed under each school you enter. If you have questions regarding the waiver of this requirement, you may contact the admissions counselor directly at email@example.com.
- Official test score reports must be sent electronically to the Office of Admissions directly from testing service.
- Personal copies or attested/notarized copies of score reports are not accepted.
Reports must be sent from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Use the program code 5156 on your TOEFL exam. For information on how to register or request test scores, visit the TOEFL website.
Official PTE score reports must be sent directly from Pearson Vue. For information on how to register for the PTE or to request test scores, visit the Pearson website.
We accept the academic modules of the IELTS. Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. The IELTS is administered by Cambridge ESOL, British Council, and IDP: IELTS Australia. More information about the test is available on the IELTS website.
Your application must include a legible, scanned copy of your official transcript(s) that can be uploaded to the online application. Self-reported transcripts and scanned copies of unofficial transcripts are not acceptable. You should submit transcripts for each college or university you have attended.
- Upload an OFFICIAL copy of your undergraduate transcript.
- All courses and grades must be listed.
- The "degree granted" and the "date conferred" must be clearly visible on your transcript.
- If your transcript does not clearly state degree and date, please upload a copy of your diploma, in addition to the transcript.
- If your transcript is not in English, make arrangements to have it translated, certified, and then upload it along with the originals.
- We can use copies of transcripts during the evaluation process, but if you are admitted to the Weekend Executive MBA, you are required to submit a hard copy, official transcript in a sealed envelope from each college or university you have attended for verification.
- To facilitate the collection and submission of official transcripts, a Transcript Request Form is provided in the downloadable forms section of the online application. This form is included for your convenience.
- To request official transcripts, you may choose to send completed transcript request forms to the registrar of each college or university that you have attended. This transcript request form is NOT a required part of the application. It is solely provided to assist you in obtaining required information. We must receive the official transcripts by the stated deadline. If transcripts are not in English, provide a certified translation along with the original.
Send hard copy, official transcripts to:
The Duke MBA Office of Admissions
The Fuqua School of Business
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120
Attn: The Duke MBA – Weekend Executive
We require 2 letters of recommendation. The most valuable recommendations come from people who know your professional skills and abilities. We require that 1 of the recommendations be from your current supervisor. An application is not considered complete until we receive both recommendations. We encourage you to utilize the online recommendation system that is contained within the application in order to expedite this process.
Interviews are required for admission to the Weekend Executive MBA program, and may be conducted at any point during the admissions process, either in person or by phone. Visit the Interviews and Open Houses page for details.
Letter of Support
If you are admitted to the program, you are required to submit a letter from your current employer outlining the company’s support of providing time off to attend class, and financial sponsorship (if applicable). Proprietors or principals of a company may provide a letter of self-sponsorship. You are strongly encouraged to submit this letter with your application. View a sample letter of support.
Non-refundable Application Fee
Fuqua requires a $225 USD application fee, payable by VISA or MasterCard. The application fee is paid electronically when you submit the online application form. You may qualify for an application fee reduction or waiver. Learn about our application fee reduction and waiver programs.
Access the online application.
It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible to give yourself the longest available time to prepare both academically and professionally. Typically, you will receive a decision within 3 - 4 weeks after submitting a complete application.
If you are concerned about your quantitative readiness, you should apply before the final deadline round to allow for adequate quantitative assessment and preparation. For more information on academic preparation, visit the MBA Ready page.
Admission Deadlines for 2012 - 2013
- Round 1 — July 18, 2012
- Round 2 — Sept. 5, 2012
- Round 3 — Oct. 17, 2012
- Round 4 — Dec. 12, 2012
- Round 5 — Feb. 13, 2013
- Round 6 — April 3, 2013
Fuqua has retained Re Vera Services, LLC to verify the information included in applications. We do this to deter fraudulent applications and preserve the integrity of our community. If you are admitted, you will be provided with instructions on the verification process, which could take a few weeks to process. You will also be responsible for the fee for this service. Any omission, falsification or misrepresentation in your application, including violations of GMAT, GRE, or any ESL testing policies, is grounds for automatic revocation of all offers of admission and financial assistance, or expulsion from The Fuqua School of Business.
Applying for an MBA is exciting, though it can seem daunting at first. Seeking admission to the Weekend Executive MBA is not an arduous process, and it's made even easier with a little background information. The admissions committee takes many aspects into account, including your test scores, previous academic performance, work experience, recommendations, essays, and your interview performance.
GMAT or GRE
Fuqua admits applicants with a range of GMAT/GRE scores. There is no minimum requirement. However, if you feel that you have not scored your personal best, or that the results are not representative of your abilities, you may re-take the exam. However, the test must be taken before you submit your application. The GMAT/GRE is important in the evaluation process, but it is not the only indicator of achievement.
Essays are an opportunity to share your perspective directly with the admissions committee. The goal of our essays is to gain a greater understanding of why you want to pursue an MBA and what you will bring to Duke, in addition to the experiences you have had that shape your unique perspective.
We do not require or favor a particular undergraduate major. Students come from a wide range of academic backgrounds.
We require a minimum of 5 years post-undergraduate work experience. You should use the application to articulate the value of the experience as it relates to contributing to the learning environment at Fuqua and how the experience has helped you develop leadership and teamwork skills, as well as maturity, on professional and personal levels.
The interview provides an opportunity for our admissions committee to get to know you better. It's also a chance for you to provide a more personal explanation of your background and interests, as well as a chance to have your questions answered in a one-on-one setting.
Access the online application.
Each applicant is expected to submit a completed application package to the Duke Office of Admissions. The admissions committee will only review complete application packages, which must include the following items:
- Completed and submitted online application.
- Non-refundable application fee of $225.
- Current resume/CV.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework (in English). Download the Transcript Request Form.
- Official scores of the GMAT/GRE. You should schedule a test date at least 4 weeks in advance of application submission. We accept scores that are up to 5 years old.
- Official results from an English language proficiency test (only for applicants whose native language is not English). See the How to Apply section for details.
- Complete an interview. Visit the Interviews and Open Houses page for details.
- Letter of support from current employer outlining company's commitment to provide time off to attend class, and financial sponsorship (if applicable). Proprietors or principals of a company may provide a letter of self-sponsorship. You are strongly encouraged to submit this letter with your application. It is required once admitted. View a sample letter of support.