Fuqua School of Business
100 Fuqua Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0120 USA
Duke University was created in 1924 by James Buchanan Duke as a memorial to his father, Washington Duke. The Dukes, a Durham family who built a worldwide financial empire in the manufacture of tobacco products and developed electricity production in the Carolinas, had long been interested in Trinity College. Trinity traced its roots to 1838 in nearby Randolph County when local Methodist and Quaker communities opened Union Institute. The school, then named Trinity College, moved to Durham in 1892. In December 1924, the provisions of James B. Duke's indenture created the family philanthropic foundation, The Duke Endowment, which provided for the expansion of Trinity College into Duke University.
As a result of the Duke gift, Trinity underwent both physical and academic expansion. The original Durham campus became known as East Campus when it was rebuilt in stately Georgian architecture. West Campus, Gothic in style and dominated by the soaring 210-foot tower of Duke Chapel, opened in 1930. East Campus served as home of the Woman's College of Duke University until 1972, when the men's and women's undergraduate colleges merged. Both men and women undergraduates now enroll in either the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences or the Pratt School of Engineering. In 1995, East Campus became the home for all first-year students.
President: Richard H. Brodhead
Provost: Peter Lange
Chancellor for Health Affairs: Victor J. Dzau, M.D.
Executive Vice President: Tallman Trask III
Duke's Schools and Colleges
- Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, established 1859
- School of Law, established 1904
- Divinity School, established 1926
- Graduate School, established 1926
- School of Medicine, established 1930
- School of Nursing, established 1931
- Nicholas School of the Environment, established 1938
- Pratt School of Engineering, established 1939
- The Fuqua School of Business, established 1969
- Sanford School of Public Policy, established 1971