Fuqua’s new head of admissions is a Virgo with a famous aunt and passion for mentoring others.
Those are just some of the facts Shari Hubert shared in her “25 random things” list: a nod to the famed essay question Fuqua uses to get to know applicants. Hubert’s full list is below.
Hubert comes to Fuqua from Georgetown where she served as associate dean for admissions. Prior to Georgetown, Hubert was director of recruitment for the U.S. Peace Corps and has also worked with GE, Citi, BCG and Merck. She earned her undergraduate degree from Dartmouth and her MBA from Harvard.
“Shari stood out in an incredibly talented and competitive pool of candidates,” said Russ Morgan, senior associate dean for full-time programs. “Shari is a terrific fit within our culture. She is a demonstrated collaborative leader with a track record of making the people around her better. Her former colleagues at Georgetown describe her as a perennial optimist.”
Morgan added, “I am confident that under Shari’s leadership our world-class admissions function will become even sharper, more focused and more innovative in attracting the very best students who will ultimately use business to change the world for the better.”
Hubert said she’s excited about being part of Duke and the unique community of Durham. “I have long admired Duke as a university, and The Fuqua School of Business, from my early days as a corporate recruiter, and more recently as a colleague in this wonderful world of admissions.”
Hubert says she is already impressed with the instinct around Fuqua to bring out the best in others. “Personally, I have been pleasantly surprised to experience that ‘Team Fuqua’ is not just hype, nor is it only reserved for students, but is a way of being that is fully embraced by staff, faculty and alumni as well."
Now Hubert will lead the mission in identifying the future exceptional students who will carry on the tradition of Team Fuqua, in part by getting to know them through random facts.
Shari Hubert’s 25 Random Things:
- My father is currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda – very proud of him
- I am a newly minted Auntie. My younger sister just had her first child – Charlotte “Charli”
- I have a famous Aunt - she was the 1st mother on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- I am a Virgo and totally live up to the definition
- I was named after Shari Lewis of the “Shari Lewis and Lambchop” show
- I had a near fatal kayaking accident in college – haven’t stepped foot in a kayak in over 25 years
- I brought a pair of pink silk pajamas and a curling iron to a weeklong camping trip in the wilderness of Mount Moosilauke – clueless college student!
- I consider myself a connector and enjoy coaching/mentoring young professionals
- I love romantic comedies and action movies (Muriel’s Wedding and any of the X-Men, James Bond movies are among my favorites)
- My favorite female actor is Meryl Streep; favorite male actor is Robert De Niro
- My favorite music artists are Annie Lennox, Seal, Adele and New Edition– I have very eclectic tastes in music and shows
- I enjoy Karaoke but am tone deaf
- The most memorable place I’ve visited is Angkor Wat – very spiritual
- The most beautiful place I’ve visited is the Amalfi Coast – breathtaking
- I was recognized in March with a distinguished alumni service award by Harvard Business School at their annual African-American Student Union Conference – for my work helping young people pursue their dreams through the value of an MBA – very humbled and proud. LOVE MY JOB
- I grew up in a single parent household with my mom. She was my hero – sacrificed her career to work as a full-time nanny to put me through college
- I love Brussels sprouts and eat them every chance I get
- Despite my chosen career path, I am an introvert naturally. My Myers Brigg indicators are ISFJ
- I still get butterflies when I have to speak in public or present to large audiences
- My happy place is having a glass of wine, sitting on the couch after work getting caught up on my Netflix, Hulu and Sling TV shows (currently watching Handmaids Tale, Rake, House of Cards, Casual, Queen Sugar, Grace & Frankie, Ray Donovan)
- I am an avid spinner
- I have traveled to all but one continent – Antarctica is on my bucket list – hopefully will get there before the next iceberg cracks off
- I am deathly afraid of horror movies and roller coasters
- I am an early riser, go to bed early, and can fall asleep in any moving object even if I just drank a cup of espresso.
- I could in theory become a vegetarian – love vegetables and crave them, but in practice I am held back because I love PORK even more