Whether you wish to advance within your current organization or plan to seek a new challenge to grow your career, our Career Management Center (CMC) provides resources and services to help you assess and explore career options, define goals, prepare to reach those goals, and then manage your career after graduation.
Our proactive and flexible approach provides opportunities for career development throughout your MBA program and beyond. Career programs and services are delivered in-person during both Durham residencies and during 3 of the 4 international residencies. Personal career coaching, a series of online webinars, and other resources are accessible at all times during the MBA program.
While our programs and services provide a robust platform for development, our experience shows that individual success greatly depends upon the partnership between you and us, which involves consistent and regular interaction with coaches, incremental follow-through, and integration of feedback.
Learn more about the career development process:
As you begin your program and realize what it means to be a Duke MBA student, you will also begin a journey of self-discovery. This initial phase of the career development process builds a solid foundation to expand upon once you've established your MBA credentials.
Many incoming students do not have a clear vision of their career goals. Understanding your personality, motivations, interests, strengths, and skills will help you develop a career plan. Insight on all these areas, and defining a direction, will come from your one-on-one work with a career coach, self-assessment tools, and the research you conduct on various industries, functions, and options for advancement. A clearer understanding of yourself and your goals will equip you to better market yourself when targeting MBA opportunities. Throughout the career development process, you can:
- Connect with a career coach for personal consultations
- Access various online tools and resources:
- Participate in a variety of programs and events:
- CMC Orientation: Learn about our Career Management Center (CMC), its services, the MBA career landscape, and how to approach and prepare for on-campus recruiting.
- Making a Career Transition: Multiple sessions that cover the best strategies, tools and tactics for successfully advancing, shifting or completely changing your career including self-assessment, prioritizing your search, effective outreach and exploration, and self-promotion.
- Career Symposiums & Career Intensives: Panel discussions with alumni and company representatives that highlight a broad spectrum of careers.
- Sector Chats: Virtual or small group discussions with CMC staff and Fuqua alumni who provide perspectives on MBA functions and industries, such as consulting, finance, marketing, social impact/non-profit, general management, energy, high tech, and health care.