Career Development Process
There are many paths to success. We help you find the one that's right for you by first helping you assess yourself and encouraging you to explore your options.
During the career development process, you receive dedicated, hands-on attention from our career coaches. We coach you through career options, review and provide feedback on resumes and cover letters, and teach you the skills needed to advance within your current company or beyond.
Our approach to career development involves:
- Assessment and Exploration
As you begin the Global Executive MBA program, you will also begin a journey of self-discovery. This initial phase of the career development process builds a solid foundation to expand upon once you've earned your MBA credentials.
To effectively market yourself in order to advance or shift direction in your career, you must communicate your value proposition and know what to target. Taking an inventory of your greatest assets and interests and understanding your personality, motivations and the landscape of options will help you develop a strategy for the next steps in your career. Gaining this insight and defining a direction will result from your one-on-one work with a career coach, completing self-assessment tools, and the many conversations you will have with classmates, faculty and alumni. Throughout the career development process, you can:
- Connect with a career coach for personal consultations
- Access various online tools and resources:
- Learn the best strategies for creating connections and assessing fit
- Participate in a variety of programs and events
- Access career management resources online
During the Preparation phase of the career development process, our career staff provide guidance and coaching to help you take concrete steps to develop and expand upon opportunities within your organization or externally. Fuqua's Career Management Center (CMC) will help you prepare a strategy and develop the skills you need to:
- Manage Your Career Within an Organization: Learn practical tips and strategies for communicating and maximizing the value of your MBA degree within your organization.
- Make an Executive Career Transition: Explore methods for managing an effective career transition (whether internal or external). Implement a framework for developing and marketing your story, and learn how to appropriately position your pitch.
- Make Connections and Build Relationships: Receive guidance on building and managing your network, requesting information, and informational interviewing.
- Develop a Resume and Learn Effective Correspondence/Social Media Practices: Get recommendations on how to create a professional, memorable resume and cover letter, and learn how to leverage social media to enhance your brand and increase your visibility. These skills are relevant if you seek advancement within your organization or externally.
- Be Interview- and Performance Evaluation-Ready: Learn what to expect in a variety of interviews and how to speak concisely about your accomplishments and value. You will have opportunities to participate in mock interviews and have access to resources to help with all aspects of interview preparation.
A number of resources and opportunities can be accessed at any time you are ready to execute your plans to advance or change your career-whether during the program or after graduation. The CMC coaches and staff are here to assist you with:
- Networking Preparation: Learn how to maximize your experiences, and how to make a lasting impression during networking opportunities.
- Maintaining Executive Presence: Focus on your value proposition and how to practice and perfect your pitch to communicate your career progression.
- Online Job Postings: Find opportunities that are specifically targeted to Fuqua executive students and alumni.
- Resume Database for Recruiters: Your resume can be included in Fuqua's Executive MBA Resume Database, which is searchable by recruiters and employers. In addition, Fuqua's global regional staff may use the Resume Database in marketing our students to potential employers. While there is no guarantee of a direct contact or an opportunity, this is one mechanism for marketing our talent pipeline and establishing recruitment connections.
- Life Long Support
After you graduate, we provide continuing career support through technology, outreach, and individual assistance. Services include:
- Alumni Resume Database
- Career coaching
- Database of global resources and opportunities
- Job postings database
- Online alumni networking database
Before you complete the program, you will learn more about our alumni career services.