"As a physician with a background in both the academic and private practice settings, I have been directly impacted by the fractured healthcare system in the US. This course provided me valuable insights into both the current state of the healthcare industry from the vantage point of its various constituents and the innovative factors disrupting the status quo. I found the faculty to be informative and engaging. I also benefitted greatly from hearing the viewpoints of fellow attendees. I have no doubt that this course will inform my decisions as I consider a career transition within this industry." —Dr. Vashali Mankad, Navigating Health Care Trends Participant, March 2018
Our Virtual Navigating Health Care Trends program now features an opportunity to touch base with your faculty and fellow participants once you've returned to your work routine. You'll have the ability, through a virtual " live class," to discuss any changes in the health care industry subsequent to the course, address challenges you may have applying some of the course concepts in your own organization, or share opportunities you've been able to realize by applying your new skills and capabilities.
This virtual engagement, held one to two months after the conclusion of the scheduled program, is at no additional cost to you. You'll have the benefit of getting additional perspectives on issues or situations not addressed in class, as well as reconnecting with your cohort of participants.
Who Should Attend?
Professionals and executives in health care strategy, sales, marketing, IT, finance, patient care, or administration will gain the most from the curriculum, but the program is valuable for anyone who needs to understand how health care organizations prosper in the industry’s evolving landscape. If you need to understand how to perform your role more effectively as your organization seeks to leverage the industry dynamics, but you're too busy to take time away from the office, or you're unable to travel to Durham, NC for the in-person program, this is the ideal program for you.
- The virtual format allows you to work at a pace that suits your learning style, no matter how familiar or unfamiliar you are with the health care industry.
- Virtual classes are recorded and available to participants online, so you may review them as frequently as you choose in order to master the material.
More About the Program
Get ready for four sessions of intensive learning from faculty and industry peers. Engaging in lectures and case-study discussions, you'll explore how rapid shifts in the health care landscape affect sectors beyond your own and discover how peers in the industry navigate the challenges and opportunities that result.
This virtual learning course consists of:
- Four 90-minute live-streamed online class sessions (held on consecutive days) and a 60-minute orientation
- Daily team exercises, which provide an opportunity to gain insights and perspectives from other participants in other industries and functions
- Robust class discussions with your instructor and your course-mates, who face similar challenges and work dynamics to yours
Classes will be held using widely available video-conferencing technology, which has become our virtual teaching platform. The technology creates a virtual classroom where you can see the professor and presentation screen, as well as seeing the other participants. Similarly, the professor can see all of the students who engage online during the group session. You’ll be able to communicate with both the professor and your peers through this platform. This technology is the same as the one we use in our executive MBA classes.
To participate in this course you will need to have a working webcam, built in or attached, and have downloaded the Zoom Cloud Meeting app onto your laptop.
If you have any questions about this requirement, call the Duke Executive Education team at +1.919.660.8011 or Toll Free +1.800.372.3932, or email us at email@example.com.
New technologies, new competitors, and new policies create continuous change, and this virtual course is structured to show how these dynamics upend business models and cause players to re-evaluate their approaches.
Disruption for Providers
- Disruptive Innovation in Health Care
- Affordable Care Act
- Value-Based Payment
- Medical Value Travel
- Innovation in Emerging Markets
Disruption for Payers
- Accountable Care Organizations
- Consumer Perspective
Current Events in Health Care
At the conclusion of the program you’ll be able to understand:
- The perspectives of your partners and competitors in the health care ecosystem.
- Your customers' needs to improve the value of your health care product or service.
- Changes in the way providers and manufacturers are paid.
- The workings of alternative payment mechanisms, including accountable care organizations.
- Insurance economics including adverse selection, moral hazard, and risk pooling.
- Which disruptive forces can succeed in the constrained health care space where government plays an important role in regulation and reimbursement.
- How to reallocate resources based on shifting paradigms.
- How to be health care leaders who understand current health care institutions and economics, and the implications of health care strategy for profits and social well-being.
This won't take long.