If admitted, can I defer my admission to the following year?
Under some exceptional circumstances, we may grant a deferral. Please contact the admission office for more information including specific conditions.
Can I apply in multiple admission rounds and/or to multiple programs?
You can only apply to one program at a time. If you are denied admission in an early round, you cannot reapply in a later admission round.
Do you offer a waiver of the application fee?
Yes, you may qualify for a waiver if you meet certain criteria. Qualification details are listed on the MSQM: Business Analytics Application Instructions page.
What should I know about GMAT/GRE test scores?
We accept GMAT and GRE scores. The admissions committee pays particular attention to the quantitative score on these exams. We admit students with a range of test scores. For mid-career candidates with concerns about taking the GMAT, please contact the admissions office to discuss alternatives.
GMAT/GRE scores are important, but they are not the only indicator of achievement. Other important aspects of your application include:
- Your academic performance
- Work experience
- Community Involvement
Does the admissions committee accept 3-year bachelor's degrees?
Yes. As long as you have earned a bachelor's degree by the start date of the program, you are eligible to apply.
What do I need to know about recommendations?
Your recommendation must be received before an application is considered complete and ready for review.
We require all recommenders to complete and submit an online recommendation form. Mailed letters of recommendation will not be accepted.
* If you are a working professional, your recommendation should be from someone who can assess your work from a professional perspective.
* If you are a current student, we prefer a recommendation from someone who can evaluate your performance from a professional perspective. If you do not have work experience, you can use your experience in a volunteer capacity, through a student club or other organization, or secure a recommendation from a professor.
How are interviews conducted?
We do not offer open interviews for MSQM: Business Analytics candidates. Interviews will be extended by invitation after careful review of your application materials. Most interviews will occur via Skype; North Carolina residents may have the opportunity to interview on campus by invitation. Both formats carry equal weight in the admissions process.
What activities are offered during a campus visit?
Duke’s campus has a lot to offer, so if you're able to visit, you’ll want to take time to explore.
Weekday campus visit activities may include:
- Tour of Fuqua’s facilities
- Lunch with current students
- Class observation
- Group meet-and-greet with an admissions officer
- Q&A with Program and Career Management Center staff
- Fuqua Friday
How are Fuqua merit scholarship awards determined?
Every admitted applicant is considered for a merit scholarship; there is no separate merit scholarship application. Merit scholarship recipients are selected by an Admissions Merit Scholarship Committee and are awarded based on a candidate’s overall profile. Merit scholarship awards are made independently of determining a student's eligibility for student loans.
The selection criteria include:
- Prior academic achievement
- Demonstrated leadership
- Community involvement
- Extracurricular activities
- Professional accomplishments
How will I know if I've received a merit scholarship?
A scholarship letter will be included in your admission packet. Scholarship information will be listed on page two of your electronic admission letter.
Is it possible to borrow funds to meet the costs of attending Fuqua?
A variety of student loan programs are available to both domestic and international students.
You are eligible to apply for a combination of:
- Federal student loans
- Alternative student loans
Loans can be used for:
Visit Financing Your Degree for more details about applying for aid.
How will I know if my FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) has been sent to Fuqua Financial Aid?
- Approximately 1 week after you submit your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which will indicate the receipt and initial processing of your application.
- Our financial aid office receives an electronic copy of the SAR, and the FAFSA data for admitted students is reviewed for accuracy and completeness.
- If additional information is needed, you will receive a written request from Fuqua.
- If no additional information is requested, you will receive a financial aid award notice.
- Our financial aid office begins review of financial aid applications in March and sends out award notices on a rolling basis.
Do I need to submit an English as a Foreign Language Test?
Applicants for whom English is a second language are encouraged to submit a score from an English proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE), but these scores are not required to complete your application.
TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores are valid for 2 years from the date the exam is taken.
Will you consider my application with a 3-year degree?
Yes, as long as you have earned a bachelor's degree by the start date of the program, you are eligible to apply.
Is there financial aid available for international applicants?
Every admitted applicant is automatically reviewed for merit-based scholarships. There is no separate scholarship application. Merit scholarship notification typically occurs within a week following the admission notification. The awards are for the duration of the program and cover partial tuition.
For more information, please visit our Financing Your Degree page.
What is the credential verification process?
If you are admitted to Fuqua, Re Vera Services will verify your contact, employment, education, and recommender information, as listed in your application.
How it works:
- You will receive an instructional email following your admission decision and after all your data has been transmitted to Re Vera for upload.
- You do not need to take any action regarding verification until you receive this email.
- The email will also include a due date by which the next steps must be initiated.
- You will be asked to login to the Re Vera Services website by the date assigned, e-sign a release form, and submit your full payment.
- 85.00 USD. You will be responsible for paying the fee directly to Re Vera Services via credit card.
The consequences for omission, falsification, misrepresentation, or failure to complete the required verification process may be grounds for blocked access to Duke facilities and course registration, automatic revocation of all offers of admission and financial assistance, or expulsion from Fuqua.
How long does it take to complete the process?
Re Vera Services will send a confirmation email once your payment and release form have been received. You may also expect to receive communication(s) from Re Vera Services regarding application materials, or if a discrepancy is found. Note: you may receive emails from several different people at Re Vera Services, as each individual specializes in a particular area of the process. Specify your preferred email address on your release form, and be on the lookout for emails that require your attention.
Each verification takes approximately 2-4 weeks, but the timeline could be longer depending on factors out of Re Vera’s control.
Most delays are due to slow response times from:
- Academic institutions
It is possible that your verification may not be completed before program start due to such factors. This is not cause for concern, as we will continue with your verification until it is fully complete.
Once your credential verification has been successfully completed, you will receive an official notification email from The Office of Admissions. Please DO NOT contact Re Vera Services or Fuqua to inquire about the status of your verification.
Do I need to alert my employer and recommenders?
Yes. Notify any current and past employers that Re Vera Services may contact them to confirm your employment information. Note: some employers may require a Social Security Number for employment verification. If required, Re Vera will ask that you provide your SSN. It is also a good idea to inform your recommenders as well. Please see sample verbiage below.
Sample Verbiage: I have been accepted to the MSQM: Business Analytics program, Class of 20XX, at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business in Durham, North Carolina. The Fuqua School of Business employs a third party vendor to conduct credential verifications. The verification process is conducted to evaluate the accuracy of information included in my application. This is a standard part of the enrollment process. The Fuqua School of Business does not anticipate finding any inconsistencies between the information reported in my application and their investigative results. They fully expect all matriculates to join Fuqua as planned.
Employer: I would like to inform you that Re Vera Services may contact you in order to verify my employment. If Re Vera Services should contact an HR representative instead, please direct me to the appropriate HR resource by providing a name and phone number of the proper contact.
Recommender: I would like to inform you that Re Vera Services may contact you in order to verify your recommendation.
I am self-employed, or have been self-employed at some point in my career. What documents do I need to provide for the verification?
If you indicated a period of self-employment on your application, please be aware that your verification will not be complete until you forward corporate documents including (but not limited to) Articles of Incorporation noting state or place of incorporation. Send these documents to email@example.com (PDF is preferred) or fax to +1.617.275.8641. Documents from foreign countries do not need to be translated, but please include the exact place of incorporation if not noted in your paperwork. Contact Re Vera Services at firstname.lastname@example.org if you were not incorporated.
What should I do if my or my recommender's contact information has changed since I submitted my application?
For changes to your contact information, you will not have the option to update information via Re Vera Service's website. Any desired changes will need to be forwarded to Re Vera Services at email@example.com. Please also copy the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For changes to your recommender’s contact information, please relay this information to Stacey Goldberg at email@example.com and include "The Fuqua School of Business - Recommender Update" in the subject line of the email.
What if I made a mistake on my application? How can I fix it?
If you realize that a mistake was made in your application, please email Re Vera Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will address the discrepancy with The Admissions Office and contact you if any further explanation is needed.
Minor discrepancies will not cause concern. Some examples are:
- Mistakenly listing a graduation date instead of a degree granted date
- An official job title that is slightly different from the working title submitted in the application
- Employment start/end dates that are off by a few days
However, further investigation would be needed for more concerning discrepancies. One example would be a degree that was not granted by an institution reported in the application.
Any major discrepancy found will be shared with you so that a clarification can be provided. Any omission, falsification, or misrepresentation found in your application, including violations of GMAT, GRE, or any ESL testing policies, is grounds for automatic revocation of all offers of admission and financial assistance, or expulsion from Fuqua.
I have additional questions that were not addressed in these FAQs.
First check the Frequently Asked Questions on Re Vera's website. You are welcome to contact Re Vera Services by phone +1.888.408.4384 or email with any questions or concerns. You may also connect with The Office of Admissions via phone +1.919.660.7705 or email.
How does the waitlist work?
Waitlisted applications will be reviewed during admissions rounds subsequent to the round in which you originally applied. Please be sure to keep us informed of any changes to your contact information.
- We are unable to share an exact number of people who are waitlisted. Candidates on the waitlist may be admitted or may choose to remove their names from the waitlist at any point in the process, so the number of candidates on the waitlist can vary.
- Please be advised that the admissions committee has made a conscious decision to limit the number of applicants extended a place on the waitlist.
May I submit additional information for the admissions committee to consider?
Yes. During the coming months you may submit additional information that you feel will be helpful to the committee in consideration of your file. Brevity and relevance are important when determining what to submit to the admissions committee. It is not necessary to duplicate information already covered in your application. Please follow the instructions below to ensure your update/s is placed in your file.
- Information on recent professional accomplishments – submit via the waitlist update form
- Transcripts or details regarding recently completed coursework relevant to program success - submit via the waitlist update form
- New unofficial test scores – submit via your student portal
- Updated mailing address – submit via your student portal
All additional information, should be submitted via email to email@example.com. If you have any inquiries regarding your status on the waitlist, call our office at +1.919.660.7705.
I have a question regarding the waitlist that has not been addressed by this information. What should I do?
Please feel free to contact our office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1.919.660.7705 and ask to speak with an Executive MBA Admissions Officer. You may reach us during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm ET. We would be happy to speak with you and address any questions or concerns you have regarding your application status.