Cross Continent MBA*
University of Warwick
Accounting & Finance, 2008
My first Fuqua team included a healthcare consultant from DC; an ex-Air Force officer from the Bay Area; a tobacco industry expert from New Jersey; a finance mogul; a strategist for a French infrastructure company; and yours truly, a UK accountant becoming an early-stage entrepreneur in India. It was a lovely mix of backgrounds, skills, knowledge, and culture that enhanced the overall experience for everyone, and we learnt how to straddle across four different time zones—essential, real-life learning! Traveling to so many countries with such a diverse class gave me a profound understanding of businesses, cultures, and opportunities around the globe.
I spent several years with Ernst & Young in London, where I led engagements for hedge funds, asset managers and private equity clients. Then I moved to Gurgaon, India for a corporate finance opportunity at Deloitte doing due diligence for M&A transactions.
I did a complete 180 and finally found my calling. I started KANNABIS—a fashion-forward, high-quality, PETA-approved vegan footwear brand for women. I built a team and we do everything, from sourcing and sales to marketing and distribution. The scope of work is immense but very exciting and satisfying.
5 Tips for a Successful Team
- Divide and rule—the winning strategy to ensure you get the best results and no one person gets swamped.
- Make your goals clear so there are no surprises. If you’re aiming to be a Fuqua Scholar, make the team aware so that expectations are managed accordingly.
- Be flexible. Your teammates will be from different backgrounds and will have different experiences, so you’ll need to be adaptable and find your synergies.
- Have open conversations when there’s conflict. Make sure everyone’s voice is heard.
- Sign up to work on your weak areas. Rather than do something you already know, try your hand at the unknown so you can learn new skills in a low-risk environment.