MQM: Business Analytics
My Program Track:
Why I Chose Fuqua
Many aspects make Fuqua unique, but two reasons, in particular, stood out to me. First, the numbers spoke for themselves on how transformative and successful MQM: Business Analytics graduates had been. The second reason is the “Fuqua family.” Before I even enrolled, I visited one quiet weekend and walked around to get a feel for the campus. A Fuqua faculty member saw me and offered to answer any questions I had. She raved about the culture and opportunities Fuqua had to offer and made me feel like I was already a part of the community.
I was a data and market analytics intern at BDO USA. This internship was my first introduction to data and coding. The whole experience showed me the value of data and how much more there was to learn!
I recently signed an offer to work as an internal consultant at Deloitte! I will be working on a small team to help provide insight and analysis to top executives to help advance the company’s strategy moving forward.
5 Tips for Maximizing Your Time at Fuqua
- Reach out to the Career Management Center early and attend their workshops. Getting their insight early on can only help you.
- Join clubs and attend the events. The Fuqua network spans beyond the people in your program, and there are many fun activities to join.
- Reach out to your professors. They are more than happy to answer questions you have but are also eager to give advice. Many of them have years of professional experience, and it’s amazing to hear their stories.
- Don’t take no for an answer. At Fuqua, just because something hasn’t been done before doesn’t mean it can’t happen. If you have an idea, share it with your student association or a faculty or staff member.
- Pay attention. It can be easy to ignore emails or get caught up in classes and clubs, but in a one-year program, every week counts. Every lecture applies to the real world, and every day there’s a new seminar or workshop to attend. Go to class and do your homework, but don’t miss out on these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.
My Favorite Professor
Dr. Jeremy Petranka, the Dean of the MQM: Business Analytics program, goes out of his way to create learning opportunities for his students. He is passionate about the data industry and has helped me see its applications in ways I never thought possible. He’s supportive of maintaining academic and social enrichment outside of the classroom and encourages everyone to maximize their time on campus. He challenges us to try new things, pursue what inspires us, and think critically with data.