MS, Operations Research and Supply Chain Management, 2012
Why I Chose Fuqua
I was fascinated by the story of J. B. Fuqua and Duke University. As a Virginia farm boy, J.B. Fuqua wanted to educate and better himself. He wrote to several universities requesting that they lend him books for his education. Duke was the only university that responded to his request. J.B. Fuqua ultimately became a successful businessman, and remembered Duke’s assistance with philanthropic donations. If Duke had ignored him, J. B. Fuqua might have missed an opportunity for a different life, and Duke would have missed the opportunity to help create a great businessman and philanthropist. It shows me how gifts- even those as small as a book – can make a difference. J. B. Fuqua and my own experiences with the Fuqua community while applying to business school, made me believe that the generosity and kindness of the university, alumni, and faculty set Fuqua apart. That is why I choose to attend Fuqua.
Five Random Things About Me
- My host family in Cleveland and I celebrate holidays and birthdays together each year. They give me a new definition of family, based not on origin, but on time, care and love shared together.
- During the 2008 Beijing Olympics, I helped a French guy who was lost get back to his hotel. Turned out he was the husband of French cyclist Christel Ferrier-Bruneau!
- In 2017, I joined a team of 11 for the 200 miles Kentucky Bourbon Chase run. After running 27 hours non-stop, we reached the finish line. The pizza and bourbon afterwards were the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted.
- Proud of my Spanish, I volunteered to order food for colleagues in a Mexican restaurant, But I ended up ordering the wrong things. I’m glad my colleagues still trust me! Now I can order in Spanish with no mistakes!
- My favorite jewelry is a bead bracelet made by my friend’s niece, Dinna, who suffers from intellectual disabilities. I see Dinna’s talent and caring, but also vulnerability, making me more compassionate about the disadvantaged.
My Life Before Fuqua
I’m an Industrial Engineer, for manufacturing supply chains. Before Fuqua, I was a Project Manager for The Robbins Company, a U.S.-based underground heavy-duty equipment manufacturer. My responsibilities included leading project teams to plan, execute, and monitor project status, solve issues, and ensure stakeholder satisfaction, and eventually deliver projects under budget and on time.
My Life After Fuqua
I plan to enter the health care technology field once I graduate. Using the health care knowledge I gained from the Health Sector Management program and the general management knowledge and leadership skills from my other courses, I’ll push for more affordable and accessible healthcare for the population through the use of technologies such as automation, IoT, blockchain, and cloud computing.
My Fuqua Activities
Health Sector Management
Duke MBA Consulting Club
Asian Business Club
Christian Business Fellowship
Association of Women in Business
Duke MBA Blockchain Club