MQM: Business Analytics
My Program Track:
Why I Chose Fuqua
I want to see myself working in areas related to data analytics, so I decided to pursue a master’s degree in business analytics. During the admissions process, I talked with a few MQM alumni and they all raved about how much help they got from Fuqua’s Career Management Center and how supportive the Fuqua community was. It felt like Fuqua was the best fit for me.
I interned in a product marketing role at Christian Dior. It shocked me how old-fashioned and inefficient the department was when it came to data processing. That’s when I realized the importance of data analytics.
I want to work for a big technology firm on the West Coast where I can incorporate both my business and technical skills and can gain practical experience in data quickly. Long-term, I wish to utilize my data experience to help resolve the problems existing in traditional retail.
5 Random Things About Me
- I was traveling by myself at the age of 18 and started chatting with a lady sitting next to me on the plane, who turned out to be a senior marketing manager for Alibaba. This chance encounter led to my first career opportunity.
- My dream as a kid was to become a model. Just as I was about to give up, I was invited to model for Forever 21’s holiday catalog when I was 20.
- I had a near-death experience while climbing a snowy mountain at night in Tromsø, Norway. My friends and I went there—unequipped—to see the Northern Lights. Instead of seeing the lights, two of us slipped off of the mountain but luckily, we were saved by our other friend.
- I love to sing. I won several singing competitions until a throat illness, which required surgery, put an end to my dream. Even so, I still won’t turn down a night of karaoke.
- I became close friends with a guest speaker who came to one of my Fuqua classes. We started out connecting professionally and discovered we had a lot of common interests. Now we are friends and I was even invited to spend Christmas with their family!
My MQM Track
I chose the marketing track because I wanted to learn practical skills that would have the most direct value to real-world business problems. With coursework in digital marketing, market intelligence, customer relationship management, and pricing, I am able to gain hands-on experience in topics like A/B testing, sentiment analysis, and survey design. These are all applicable in today’s business world and will provide me with a better understanding of making data-driven decisions.