Experiential Learning - Daytime MBA
Never done that? That’s the whole idea.
Fuqua’s Daytime MBA program offers many exciting and compelling opportunities to develop your abilities beyond the classroom. From pitching venture capital for your start-up to developing a marketing strategy for a Fortune 500 product or serving on a local nonprofit board, you’ll be able to strategically choose opportunities that suit your career goals and stimulate your mind.
You’ll have the chance to apply theory to real-world experiences, refine your leadership skills, and collaborate with other students to build on each other’s strengths—all while putting new industries and new ideas to the test.
Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP)
Are you interested in a hands-on consulting experience? Do you want to gain exposure to a new industry or try out a new function? FCCP projects span a full range of business functions and industries, from multinational corporations to small businesses and nonprofits to social entrepreneurs, in markets all across the globe.
Previous FCCP students have:
- Helped NGOs empower street vendors and build schools in India
- Assisted a major pharmaceuticals company in defining a future vaccine strategy
- Developed a go-to-market strategy for a battery technology in Latin America for a US-based clean energy company
Do you want to explore the growing field of impact investing? The CASE i3 Initiative on Impact Investing offers you opportunities to work with impact investors on real-world challenges or make investments yourself.
- In the CASE i3 Consulting Program, you'll work as part of a consultant team with an outside client on a current challenge they are facing
- As a member of the Fuqua Sustainable Impact Student Investment Fund, you'll manage assets with and ESG and impact lens
- As a CASE i3 Apprentice, you'll embed with and be mentored by a local or remote investment team
Mentored Study Program (MSP)
Do you want to learn from an experienced professional in the industry and/or function of your chosen career? You can build functional skills and gain sector-specific experience by conducting a Mentored Study with an organization in a space that aligns with your career interests. Customize your learning experience as you engage with an employee-mentor who will guide the project you mutually design. MSP enrollment spans two academic terms so your total engagement is 12 weeks.
Previous MSP students have:
- Conducted a competitive analysis and go-to-market strategy for a startup company
- Provided valuation perspectives on a potential investment for a private equity fund
- Contributed to strategic plan development for a non-profit organization
New Ventures Courses
Do you want to create a new commercial or social venture? The New Ventures courses provide a participatory learning environment for anyone interested in creating a new commercial or social venture. As a member of a multidisciplinary team, you’ll explore potential markets for innovation, evaluate the viability of a business model, and develop strategies for bringing it to market.
Previous New Ventures students have:
- Commercialized technology for producing cultured breastmilk that offers supplemental nutrition to mother's milk
- Commercialized a system for manufacturing tiny silicone spheres to improve anti-aging cosmetics
- Developed medical devices for people with glaucoma
Duke University Hospital Experiential Learning Practicum (DUHELP)
How do clinical and administrative leaders make strategic decisions to guide a health system in a complex and continually evolving health care environment? What are the nuances to operating an academic medical center with its three-part mission of patient care, research and teaching? DUHELP is a unique partnership between Duke University Hospital and Fuqua’s Health Sector Management program, in which students work directly with DUH leaders to develop solutions to issues currently facing the health system.
Recent DUHELP students have:
- Developed recommendations for improving the discharge process to skilled nursing
- Assisted the emergency department in improving security and the waiting room experience for patients
- Refined the system’s telehealth strategy
Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE)
Are you interested in learning about the many facets of a country and then experiencing it firsthand? As part of the GATE program, you’ll study the business, culture, economy, and politics of a region for six weeks. Then you’ll travel to the area and visit multinational corporations, local enterprises, government agencies, partner schools, and alumni. Along the way, you’ll get to see historic landmarks, taste regional cuisine, and get to know local families.
Previous GATE students have:
- Met with the tourism minister in Botswana to discuss how he's trying to diversify his country’s economy
- Visited Argentinean wineries to understand the trade and shipping challenges of competing in a global market
Fuqua on Board
Is one of your ambitions to serve on a nonprofit board of directors? As part of Fuqua on Board, you and a student partner will be matched with a local nonprofit organization, where you will serve as a non-voting board member. You’ll gain valuable insight into the governance and strategic management of nonprofit organizations while applying critical business skills learned in the classroom to real-world challenges they face. You'll also receive training, coaching, and peer mentoring to prepare you to serve as an effective community leader now and in the future.
Previous Fuqua on Board Associates have:
- Created a comprehensive 360-degree review and evaluation process of an Executive Director
- Benchmarked organizational performance against peer organizations to identify and measure KPIs in core services and functions
- Evaluated and recommended earned income strategies and investment opportunities in pursuit of financial sustainability
Explore This Program
Team up in 6-week terms.
Design your own experience from 100+ electives.
Concentrations + Certificates
Enhance your skills in a focus area.
Combine your MBA with another Duke program.
Get outside your comfort zone by exploring a new culture.
Develop your abilities beyond the classroom.
Leverage our resources to power your job search.
Enjoy one of the nation’s most exciting—and livable—cities.