What do you do professionally?
Currently, I am working as a Senior Analyst at The Home Depot. I support the Customer Analytics team and use my knowledge in data science to derive and effectively communicate actionable insights from a vast quantity and variety of data.
My position covers a broad spectrum of activities, including segmentation, data visualization, statistical methods, and econometric measurement to support customer-based selling activities and techniques in support of enterprise-wide decision making.
What is the best personal advice you’ve received?
Best personal advice I have ever received is:
- Always listen more than you speak and listen to understand and not just to respond.
- Always anticipate defeat. There are times in life that require tough decisions and time sensitive responses. Use them as feedback–they are often the most defining moments of your life.
What is the best professional advice you’ve received?
One thing that stands out to me thus far in my short professional career is:
As a data strategist professional, one needs to be on top of the constantly changing technological advancements, and at the same time have one thing that you a really good at.
An example is to be a jack of multiple programming languages, but also to be a master in one.
What is an advice that you would like to give your future self?
I believe two things will always be important and relevant where I am:
- Stay humble.
- Have mentors. If you wouldn’t expect a talented athlete like Serena Williams to play without her coach, why shouldn’t it be the same for any great professional?
Aside from your current role, what is your dream job?
I want to be always be in an environment where I am constantly challenged to grow and learn with motivated and hardworking teams. My long-term plans include to eventually become a Venture Capitalist. I want to use my knowledge in finance and data science to be able to provide capital and financing to small, early-stage, emerging tech firms that are deemed to have high growth potential.
What do you like to do outside of work?
I love being in the outdoors: hiking, biking, and running. It is a great way to unwind after staring at the computer screen all day long. I also enjoy exploring coffee shops and dessert cafes.
What is the best place that you have been to?
When I was 16, I had the opportunity to attend high school in Hong Kong. It was an eye-opening experience for me. Hong Kong is not only a beautiful place of sunshine and beaches but also offers excitement. It has musical beat of its own and you can feel it as soon as the plane circles low over the lights of the Victoria harbor skyline.
Who is your favorite professor?
My first term at Fuqua I had the honor to be enrolled in Mark Brown’s Business Communication class. It not only taught me effective presentation skills but also the art of converting data and statistical analysis into actionable business insights. As an analyst, I use Mark Brown’s advice regularly in my work life.
What are your favorite Fuqua memories?
My two favorite Fuqua memories are:
- Triangle training, which is a day teams spend playing outdoors and engaging in various team building activities. It’s a fun way to get to know the teammates better and become closer to your classmates.
- During my time at Fuqua, I was blessed to have generous friends who always took me to Duke MBB games with them. I still religiously follow Duke games and can’t wait to visit Cameron again!
What does Team Fuqua mean to you?
Team Fuqua is about accepting and celebrating diversity of ethnicities, thoughts, and ideas. It is being able to use these perspectives to design meaningful projects and produce impactful decisions.